Love Birds, Hearts and Fairies

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
ARGH!!!! Enough with the rain already! I still haven't invented those waterproof life preserver knee pads for detecting in the wet grass and mud.. so with a short break in the weather (not raining for a couple of hours) I talked my dear wife into accompanying me to a couple of school playgrounds.. and the woodchips! Ah, but there be dangers in the woodchips when it's wet out. Don't let the placid docile looking chips fool you. There beneath the seemingly dry top layer lies a soggy mess and worse!
Yeah, I got out a while Yesterday (Saturday) to play with my detector. I couldn't take it anymore. To avoid the high water and.. <shuddering>.. MUD, I decided to scratch my detector withdrawl itch with some woodchip scraping. I checked out a few schools in a neighboring town, one that I've not visited, the schools anyway. I googled the schools and addresses, googled map directions... too bad the Google Earth sat. pics weren't very high res or I could have crossed two schools off my list before even leaving the house. *sigh* Taking the schools in order, closest from my house to furthest, we began checking out the grade school playgrounds.
The first School didn't even have an outdoor playground. WHaaaat? Oh well, on to number two.. which was locked up tight behind a chain link fence. Hmmm.. maybe this trip wasn't going to turn out worthwhile after all. On to number three. At last, some accessable playground to search. Not that I found much. Seems all the cold weather and recent rains have kept the kiddies indoors, or they just haven't lost much in the playground. I found some clad, a few pull tabs, a couple of buried cans that had my hopes up. But take heart. I found a heart!

Heartfront.jpg : Heartback.jpg

Another Sketchers Girl Shoe bling, thingy.. <grin> I've found three or four of these things now. On to the next school playground on the list.
The finds at the next playground were a bit more productive, or rather the detecting at the next playground was more productive. Apparently some little Johnny brought some Wheat Pennies in for show and tell, and lost them. I found three Wheaties.. a 1941, a 1951 D and a 1958 D.

Wheaties Front.jpg : Wheaties Back.jpg

The wheaties weren't the only pennies I found at this location, they were everywhere! Only those three were were not Lincoln Memorials though. Well, except for one Canadian Penny. Oh there were other coins too, a few dimes, some nickels, a few quarters and some other odd pieces of metal.
On to the next schoolyard and playground. This one the woodchips were older and more like bark than shredded wood. Apparently they float really well because the recent rains had washed them down the slight incline that the playground was on. There were hundreds if not thousands of little terraces, it looked like a model of a topographical map or something. I also found one of the scarier deathtraps that woodchips can become. The seemingly firm dry woodchips beneath the swing sets were anything BUT! I took a step onto the chips between two swings and ended up shin deep in water! The trough under the swings was full of water but the floating bark chips on top had dried on the surface making it appear solid. Damn! Ugh! And the water was as brown as coffee from all the acid in the woodchips. My sock was stained brown, not to mention my shoe still squeaks.. well "Griiitch"es (step.. griiitch.. step.. griiitch.. step.. griiitch) Boy, the things we put up with to enjoy this hobby, at least I was finding more stuff at this playground, besides booby traps (me being the booby).

OH CRAP! I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON AND THIS WAS POSTED BEFORE I COULD EVEN FINISH! *sigh* Ok.. continuing.

Along with hidden pitfalls and some clad I found some bling at this last playground. One BIG ugly plastic ring (surface) one broken partial UGLY junk ring, and interesting ring with lovebirds and a heart. I'm sure this is pretty much junk too, but at least it was interesting.

birdring.jpg

There were lots of buttons around this playground as well, even one that looked like a bear claw or something.

buttons.jpg : claw.jpg

Finally there was the prettiest penny of them all.. today. A Fairy.. or Pixie.. or is that.. Tinkerbell???

Tinkerbell.jpg

Well, here's everything for the day..

everything.jpg

...three school playgrounds, damp knees, and one soggy right foot yielded a handfull of treasures and almost 7 bucks in cash ($6.74), not counting the Canadian or the Wheaties. Soggy shoe and all I had a great time, even if the sun never did peek out from behind the clouds. I hope the rest of you get a chance to get out and scratch that itch soon. Just beware the woodchips hide hidden dangers as well as treasures. (step.. griiitch.. step.. griiitch.. step.. griiitch..)

Happy Hunting Everyone !

Frodov

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where there's wheats there's silver :)

nice finds

HH

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I so love your stories....one correction....you said you found a heart....you already have one sweet man....You found ANOTHER heart! :wink: Glad to see that you got to get out even if it was only to a booby trapped playground. Find a nice spot to dry out and warm up and have a very nice evening! Thanks for once again taking us on an adventure with you and your lovely wife!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Yes! You found Tinkerbell! So glad I got to see......the rest of the story! :wink: Your stories are always a delight! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
lonewolfe said:
where there's wheats there's silver :)

nice finds

HH

Oh I don't know about that.. Normally I'd have to agree with your statement, unfortunately these were found in a somewhat newer public grade school playground. If there be silver there, it's from someone's dad's coin collection or sock drawer or wherever. It could happen, sure. I'd be delighted if it DID. I know I'll keep looking all the same, one way or the other. <grin>

Happy Hunting !

Frodov

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Frodov,
Another awesome post. Man you sure can describe a hunt.
Here's wishing you gold soon.
Joe

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Tennessee-Joe said:
Frodov,
Another awesome post. Man you sure can describe a hunt.
Here's wishing you gold soon.
Joe

Oh BROTHER! Would I EVER like to find some gold! ANY gold! Unfortunately, one doesn't find much gold or often at the places I've been detecting lately. Thanks to the weather (WET) and the workload imposed upon me by my job, I've not been out anywhere where I might actually stand a good chance of finding gold. Ah.. that's ok though. I've got a vacation coming up soon and I'll be kickin' sand at the beach.. and detecting too! Hopefully it won't rain or worse, have a hurricane make landfall that week. That'd be just my luck. <grin>
Thanks for the wishes though! And, Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread