Low pricesTook in a mixed load and onl

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A local parttime scrapper told me he's not "fooling with" aluminum right now because the price dropped. I suggested that he still stockpile it because the price will come back up. :thumbsup:

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
Keep on going back to that yard Bob and maybe try them with something else to get a suprise.
I say this because an electric motor might only have 10 % by weight of copper in it, plus add the cost of labour and energy to extract the copper then your price is about 70 cents too much.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if the high prices they paid for electric motors might be tied to a "core" value for rebuildable motors. :icon_scratch:

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
You could be right if no mistake was made. In these dark times value adding would help keep the yard afloat as I'm sure they are feeling the pinch too. Getting the boys to spend more time separating the metals instead of shredding the lot en mass would also reduce lay offs . But I expect the labor cost / rate to shrink in the months ahead.
A yard would have an experienced valuer that could quickly decide, for example, if brass plumbing fittings could be resold as such and not scrapped. There are hundreds of situations like this.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Does anyone know if retail hardware businesses would buy 'good' brass
fittings? lastleg

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aint taken anything in for months :-\

TexasDeere

Jan 20, 2009
Spring, TX
That is about what copper is paying close to me. I was amazed at the price you got for the electric motors. They are only paying around $.05 a pound for them around here.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
It sounds to me like they paid you for alternators/starters. I have a pile of nonworking electric motors saved up. I buy lots of motors and resell the good ones at a local flea market. The prices are going to come up for scrap before 2010.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread