Luck in northwestern PA?

rabid_ferret420

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2014
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has any luck on gold prospecting in northwestern PA? If so what is the key? I have plenty of high banked areas around some creeks. You can also tell it was where the creek changed course because I dug only three to four inches down last year and hit old creek bed and rock. Now does that mean because of lack of soil on top of the rocks there isn't any gold? I assume it would be a good spot because the high bank is 8 feet above this old creek bed? I know there are many variables in gold prospecting and that's what makes me so interested in it. I also live right on the beginning part of the allegany river which is known to be glacier formed according to us geology maps. And is it any coincidence the river starts a few miles away in a town called gold? I know there is gold here. The question is what's the best way to find it? In the high banks of the smaller creeks in the hills? Or try to find it in the river? Now mind you the allegany is compacted stones that's very hard to dig in. Also being in the backwoods of north western PA where most towns are less than 1000 in population, it is very hard to find historic info. I would just like some thoughts from more experienced prospectors to get myself in the right direction. Thanks for reading. Happy hunting.

Sincerely,
A disabled veteran with too many hobbies

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread