lunch time at tot lot

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca
Hit a sand tot-lot at lunch today. 1986 quarter and a zinc penny. As well as a dozen or so bottle caps and some foil.

Tons of foil signals all over, couldn't dig everything with the time allowed.

I am new, so a question I was having is this: As an experienced md'er and you find a site with lots of bottle caps and tabs (that have obviously been in the ground awhile), do you assume the park has not been hunted or hunted by someone with their discrimination blocking these items?

In my limited experience I would have thought a couple more coins may have come out, but I don't know.

Upvote 0

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
cj5wagomando said:
Hit a sand tot-lot at lunch today. 1986 quarter and a zinc penny. As well as a dozen or so bottle caps and some foil.

Tons of foil signals all over, couldn't dig everything with the time allowed.

I am new, so a question I was having is this: As an experienced md'er and you find a site with lots of bottle caps and tabs (that have obviously been in the ground awhile), do you assume the park has not been hunted or hunted by someone with their discrimination blocking these items?

In my limited experience I would have thought a couple more coins may have come out, but I don't know.

enh. Not sure. Could just be that you have more little ones running around with sodas and not change. Or, it could be someone else is hunting it and discriminating out the tabs but from my experience the tabs ring up just like nickels so you should have found more nickels if someone was discriminating out the tabs.

OP
OP
cj5wagomando

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca
thanks for the reply.

I will be getting out this weekend with some more time to look into all the signals to try to get the hang of what this MXT is telling me.

Dave.

partenr

Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Washington State
Detector(s) used
White's Classic II
cj5wagomando said:

When I come upon that situation (deep numerous tabs yet few coins) I assume someone has "cherry picked" for coins. That is, hunted with high DISC. as you suggested. I figure the price of admission to finding rings is digging those dang tabs. I also choose to tell myself that if there are a bunch of deep tabs (and it's not under a picnic table), then I there should RINGS in thar' too!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
partenr said:
When I come upon that situation (deep numerous tabs yet few coins) I assume someone has "cherry picked" for coins. That is, hunted with high DISC. as you suggested. I figure the price of admission to finding rings is digging those dang tabs. I also choose to tell myself that if there are a bunch of deep tabs (and it's not under a picnic table), then I there should RINGS in thar' too!

yes the gold comes up similar to the nickles and tabs in my experience too. So dig all them tabs. Your bound to hit some nickles and rings.

free4dan

Dec 8, 2006
I hunt tot lots in my small town frequently at least every 2 to 3 weeks. I try to take out all the trash I find. One thing I notice is the pieces of tin foil and even aluminum that the kids chew on and then throw in the chips. Anyone else seeing this? I clean them out and the kiddos replenish.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
free4dan said:
I hunt tot lots in my small town frequently at least every 2 to 3 weeks. I try to take out all the trash I find. One thing I notice is the pieces of tin foil and even aluminum that the kids chew on and then throw in the chips. Anyone else seeing this? I clean them out and the kiddos replenish.

I've noticed this too but never found any gold but I did notice that my wedding band rings up the same on the DFX as the round aluminum juice drink tops...so I dig em all. All Ive found so far is clad and crap but sooner or later someone will drop a ring, bracelet, necklace etc.

OP
OP
cj5wagomando

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca
all right, thanks for the info. "cherry picked" sounds about right, now to get more time out.

Did tons of digging this weekend, but it was all trenching for sprinklers in my back yard.

Maybe Ill get out later in the week.

I did manage a 10 minutes in some wood chips tot-lot and found a brand new hot-wheel for my 9 yr old son. (the red race car from that new movie - Cars ) - and a 65 quarter.

thanks.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
It's so easy digging in the woodchips that I always dig every signal. I will gladly dig 100 tinfoils for one gold ring.
Best of luck in all your searches!

Smiles!
BDoo

OP
OP
cj5wagomando

cj5wagomando

Greenie
Mar 5, 2007
bay area, ca
The chips are easy, yes.

The "cherry picked" lot is a much older park and still has sand which is not much harder to dig, but items are definately deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread