Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro,

Nice gift...it looks bigger than normal lunch boxes. I can't see how it opens, that's what's odd to me.

;) RR

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Its about the same size, and yes, thats whats odd about it. According to Dad, this was the popular style back then, no hinges on the lid, or hasps to open.

It looks like the top compartment would fit a bottle of soda quite nicely, or even a small thermos.

Does anyone out there know anything about these boxes? Like if they were made for a specific reason? Grandad was a logger, he made donkey sleds for skidding logs. Quite a craftsman, he made a scale model for my Dad and his brother to play with as boys. Doggone thing weighs close to a hundred pounds.... pretty heavy for a toy for boys, lol! But they skidded sticks and had highlines all over the yard! Heheheheh!

We still have the donkey sled, I'll try and get pics of that up, too.

Attachments

• lunchbox 007.jpg
    lunchbox 007.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 600

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
Pretty neat little gift today from my Father. It was his fathers, and he bought it off the shelf back in the 30's or 40's. My Dad even used it back in the 70's for his lunch. Anyone notice anything odd about it?
no latch

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Love to see pics of the skidder Jeffro. Where did grandpa log? I was raised in a little logging town called McCloud, right on the base of Mt.Shasta. Dad worked in the sawmill for 20 some odd years, it was built in 1880's. Lot of logging history in that area.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
My Grandad logged in the Bohemia area. One of the conditions for him coming to work for the company was that he got enough lumber to build himself a house. They settled in a little town called Culp Creek. The house and property was sold soon after Grandad passed, but its still there. A little two bedroom shingle house built about 1935 or so.

Grandad was a miser, so I'm pretty sure there's a cache or two about. The man taped a 100 dollar bill under the dash of every car he owned, in case of emergencies. So I know he stashed stuff. Trouble is, he was also very industrious. There's a TON of iron on the old property. I searched it with my Goldmaster and gave up in frustration! That was before I had a discriminating detector.

It'll be Monday before I can get pics up of the donkey sled, gotta do the four-letter thingie for a few days (work).

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
My thoughts on the lunch box, seeing how it was for a logger maybe it slid open to keep animals from opening it if found on the ground where he was cutting down trees. or if it was in a tree or up high if it fell it wouldn't be as apt to open. Just athought.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Could very well be! Never thought of that.... I still have yet to get a pic of the toy donkey sled up, I guess I'll have to take a trip out to the Folk's.

T

TreasureTales

Mighty AP said:
Love to see pics of the skidder Jeffro. Where did grandpa log? I was raised in a little logging town called McCloud, right on the base of Mt.Shasta. Dad worked in the sawmill for 20 some odd years, it was built in 1880's. Lot of logging history in that area.

Hey, McCloud used to be a good area for trout fishing. Haven't been there for several years due to health, etc. Beautiful area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread