M-3 GoldenIrishmans Monsoon Mining Thread

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I don't know if you remember my,company logo hefty bit the background picture was taken during a monsoon thunderstorm. That was the shot with the ufo in it.

Yea those Monsoons, nasty buggers they can be down there. No I don't remember your Co, logo....got it somewhere?

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok... let's see if the third time really is the charm.....

Last night I had a thunderstorm come rolling through the area from about 11pm till 1am or so. Nothing out of the ordinary in that it had all the usual stuff. Rain, wind and lightning. It showed me that a couple more guy lines were needed on the tent and that once the lines were in place that it could take the rain with no problem.
What was different about this storm was that while adding the new lines I happened to glance up towards the high tension power lines and I could have sworn that someone was shining a light on them. I checked to see if someone was driving in the area and couldn't see a soul. Not even a light from any of the near by ranches could be seen. Looking back at the lines, I could see that the glow was extending along the lines as they went up over the hill to the northwest. The light had a strange light green glow to it. I knew if it was from heat that the glow would have been orange/red and not green. The only thing I could think of was that this was the legendary "St. Elmos' Fire". I had heard of it, but had never seen it before. Very cool and disconcerting at the same time. Eventually the glow,on the lines extended from the top of the hill above me down to the highway and beyond. If you ever get a chance to be near some high tension lines during a thunder storm, take a look up at the lines and you just might see it for your self.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, you are having more fun than a person is allowed. I sure wish I was there than here. Those lines look to be pretty high voltage. Perhaps that has an effect. Nature does strange stuff. There isn't any aurora's to for this.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I estimate that they're 575kvetching or so and are a main kind feeding over to Phoenix. My dad is going to talk to his neighbor who is a retired lineman and know about this kind of stuff.
Been hotter than the hinges on the doors of he77 here the last couple of days. At least there's a bit of a breeze today, but the thunderheads are building up to the east so thing might get interesting again this afternoon. Maybe another visit from St. Elmo?

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the wind is about ready to drive me nuts. It's been blowing here at the camp a good 25 mph with gusts closet to 40 mph at times. It keeps up I may have to head into town early. Not because of the wind, but because I won't have any shade tarps left to keep the sun off me!
Yet hard as the wind has been blowing in camp, where I've been digging there's hardly a breeze. I managed to get an underwhelming four buckets Durga nd classified before the heat drove me out of the wash and back to camp.

Now I lime to think that I can handle just about any outdoor situation thanks to my Army training and a lifetime of camping in all kinds of conditions. I've been through a lot over the years but Uncle Sugar never trained me on how to deal with this. Temps have been in the low 100s which is fine by me since it's been pretty dry. Cbut the wind is doing it's best to relocated me and my camp to join up with Toto and that crazy chick he hangs out with. Should that happen, with my luck, the tin woodsman would look like AzViper, the scarecrow would look like Clay and the cowardly lion would look like "the other" Jeff. If that turns out to be the case, then Dorothy will look like Bette Middler and the wicked which will be Miss July.

Can you,tell the wind is starting to get to me? Come on monsoon rains!!!!

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I like to dream yes, yes, right between my sound machine
On a cloud of sound I drift in the night
Any place it goes is right
Goes far, flies near, to the stars away from here
Well, you don't know what we can find
Why don't you come with me
On a magic carpet ride
You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free
Close your eyes, look inside.
Let the sound take you away
Last night I held Aladdin's lamp
And so I wished that I could stay
Before the thing could answer me
Someone came and took the lamp away
I looked around, a lousy candle's all I found

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I keep thinking of the song about going insane from the 60s or 70s

"They're coming to take me away haha they're coming to take me away ho ho he he, to the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time..." Etc

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Steppenwolf "Magic Carpet Ride" and not too far from the truth out here. Kind of a cross between it and America's "Horse with no name".

I,also,thought of something this evening that worked lime a charm when I gave it a try. The old school radiator bags work by evaporation right? I took a clean sock and slipped a bottle of water that had been in the truck all day into it and then folded the top of the sock back over the bottle so just the cap was sticking out and it was double layered. Dipped the sock into some water and set the whole thing in the breeze. In 20 minutes the water had cooled off to the point it was like drinking from an office water cooler. I will be using this one again.
And again...
And again...
(Though I do have a pair of the evaporation water bags I don't use them because they make the water taste like you're chewing on burlap sacks.)

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I have used a few different versions of this and it really helps keep the tarps from flappin around and tearrin apart.

th

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The tarps are tied to the trailer on one end and supported by lodge poles that have guy lines running off of them to the ground. I've been using the heavy duty brown and silver tarps with the reflective side up to bounce the sun away. So far I've gotten two months of use but they're starting to go.

I have found a place out of Lost Wages that makes tarps out of shade cloth in several different colors. I'm thinking of getting some,of them since they are only a little more than the regular tarps on cost and I know they will stand up to wind much better.

Current tarps are 8x12 ft but,I'll get the shade cloth ones in a 8x16 size. I'll also get a pair of them in 8x24 to form walls out of on two sides. Add a 4x12 section and I'll even have a shower stall to boot. (Tired of being grungy out here)

I m thinking of getting them in the tan color to blend with the desert terrain and rated at 90% shade. I can always take a can of spray paint to them to cameo them out a bit by breaking up the edges. If these work well I'm even considering getting a big one to cover that big red tent that can be seen from a mile away.

Well got to,start cleaning up around camp here. Danger Lady is coming out today and bringing me pizza, margaritas and some other supplies.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it's been a busy day out here. Got over and sampled a new wash and struck out. So to soften the blow, I decided to take a run up the Gold Basin area and do a little recon. First thing I noticed was that the roads were much better. Second thing I noticed was that what claims I did cover me across were properly marked with the monument of discovery in place and all paperwork present and accounted for. I also found a couple of club claims. GPAA and MPA which is a local club.

Another thing I noticed was that it was a lot hotter down in that basin than it is at my current location. Going to have to plan and supply accordingly. Lots and lots of water will be called for as well as more shade asap.

I have also been reminded the last two days what a lucky dog I am. Danger showed up bearing gifts. Pizza, Guinness Stout, a frog tongs "Chilly Pad" cooling towel and lots of water. Weather permitted us to try make the rain fly off the tent and sleep under the stars and not have to worry about bugs. I have to admit... I've got a great lady who takes good care of me.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Jeff, Love reading about your adventure! The water bags you mentioned need to be "seasoned". Soak them in plain water (running if possible) for a few days. Then you soak them in baking soda and water for a few more days. Once that is done flush them out a few times with fresh water and your good to go! Take care man!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Fowled. They failed to mention anything but soaking them for a couple of days in the included instructions. I'll,give that a try.

Yet another bit of gear is now going to have to be replaced. The little "perk bubble" on top of the coffee pot has cracked and I had to patch it with duct tape. Piece of plastic junk. Time for one of the old,school blue enameled lots that will last!!!!

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
IMG_0628.JPG

Yup...the only thing to survive this forest fire was up in the right hand corner of pic.
And still using it.

The Blue Enamel coffee pot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread