goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well as much as I hate to admit it, I've been DUPED! I did learn that I really need to have my glasses with me out in the field. After gathering everything up and bringing it home it sat in the baggie for a couple of days until I got around to checking it out. When I checked it out the first thing that hit me was that the color of the material are way to consistent to be natural. Grabbing my glasses I looked at it closer and found that this was only rocks that had been painted!!!!! Man... Did I feel like a total idiot!!! Between the lack of glasses, the dust and dirt on the pieces it looked like the real McCoy. (Good choice of color on the paint and it was applied very well.) I'm thinking that someone had put them out there as a joke. Well they got me, but it was a lesson learned. That lesson? Bring my freakin glasses out to the field with me! My close up vision is getting pretty bad and I have to wear my glasses when I pan so now I figure I should be wearing them out in the field now. I don't deal in rocks, nor do I wear jewelery so the mistake was (I feel) an honest one.

Sorry if I got anyone all excited for nothing! Like I said... I feel like an idiot about now.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kinda worried that your rock shop guy got duped. You should take a bag of them in there and "try" to sell them to him. That would be worth a laugh for sure.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My eyes are getting bad, but his are worse Kaz. He showed me some cabs he had been working on. Can you say lopsided? I knew you could!! I couldn't take advantage of the guy. I don't want that kind of stuff on my karma.

On the bright side, the Sodalite IS the real McCoy. Need to get back out there (with my glasses!!!) and get some pieces large enough to slab out so I can cut some cabs and polish them up. Damn... If I start getting back into lapidary work I'm going to have to build ANOTHER workshed!!!! Well I guess I could combine a silver smithing work station in it as well.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My eyes are getting bad, but his are worse Kaz. He showed me some cabs he had been working on. Can you say lopsided? I knew you could!! I couldn't take advantage of the guy. I don't want that kind of stuff on my karma.

On the bright side, the Sodalite IS the real McCoy. Need to get back out there (with my glasses!!!) and get some pieces large enough to slab out so I can cut some cabs and polish them up. Damn... If I start getting back into lapidary work I'm going to have to build ANOTHER workshed!!!! Well I guess I could combine a silver smithing work station in it as well.

Silversmithing, very cool!...how about gold smithing?!!

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would not suggest taking advantage of the guy. It would be fun to have a laugh though. Sell it ot him at 80% spot on the material, then go to Walmart and buy a bag of the stuff and bring it to him and try to sell it in the bag. Somehow it would be hi-larious.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Naw.... I'm not going to poke fun at the guy Kaz. His eyes may be going but he's still a good source of info and he is close by. He's got a really nice shop about a mile from me and I don't know him well enough to know just how far I could push things with him. I don't want to burn any bridges before they've even been built!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a light dusting here Clay. It was melted by 09:00. Wind has been cold and hard enough to cut right through ya though. I've been wanting to tie into that 2 yard pile of materials in the processing area but that water is like 33 degrees!

How'd you guys do on the white stuff?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a light dusting here Clay. It was melted by 09:00. Wind has been cold and hard enough to cut right through ya though. I've been wanting to tie into that 2 yard pile of materials in the processing area but that water is like 33 degrees!

No white stuff here Jeff. I like the stuff at a distance - like up in the mountains. It's real cold though, it just dipped below 50. :tongue3:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I do like a little snow every once i a while. It reminds me of why I hate it so much!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Over a foot and its 17 degrees with continuing snow here in northern Colorado Springs.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Over a foot and its 17 degrees with continuing snow here in northern Colorado Springs.

Now it is -1 degrees F and we still have a foot of snow, though the winds have redistributed it a bit.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL...... Now does everyone understand why I DON'T live in Colorado? Visit.... Yes Live there year round? No way Jose!

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful skies in the Mother Lode right now. We get about a week break from El... what's its name... lol. NF American river was ripping earlier this week at 20,000 cfs... it is now back down to its normal 800-1200 cfs. Hoping to find some pickers sitting up on top.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You picked one hell of a winter to move north Dan. For the first time in half a decade, I've been able to really sluice down here (you know the areas) and some days have been impressive. Sorry buddy had to rub it in just a bit. In long run you made the wise choice, better gold and family living up there.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you've finally got some water down there Rob. There's a couple places I'd love to hit down there with some H2O

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do I feel so guilty?

Well situations around the homestead required me to install chains and No Trespassing signs across the driveways here. While doing the work, I had to use my panning tub to mix cement to set the poles in. Now I know that the tub was designed for mixing small batches of cement in and that I hadn't purchased it for anything other than use in the processing area for panning. I've been feeling like a traitor to my trade by actually using a tool as it was intended to be used instead of some re-purposed application. Do I need to seek professional help? Only time will tell!

SpecJet

May 8, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can make up for it by going into the kitchen and "borrowing" a utensil to dig with :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread