Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had an opportunity to get a MX-5 and from everything I read in the White's forum, most folks said that it wasn't as good of a machine. The many negatives included it being chattery and the threshold popping. Seems like I remember something about issues with the GB, or the lack of a manual one or something. I've heard much more positive things on the M-6 and I had a friend who loved his and regretted selling it.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both, pros (for me) for mx5 , volume control, use when with my kids so I don't have to use hps hear them and machine, I like notch sometimes, a little lighter, 2 tone option, con's, coil cable screw in spot sucks, hard to get to, shaky threshold, damn HP plug in is on the rt side (OK if you are a lefty but I'm not) pros for m6 super fast adjustments, feels sturdier, HP plug is where supposed to be, like the toggle, I rather my m6. Had whites put the mxt style shaft on mine so I'm good to go. Not really any cons i'll probably bump my threshold a little, internal pot adjustment, that's all I got, jhar

Last edited:

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX5 and M6 are both great machines. The MX5 has a back light and notch disc. The M6 has variable disc ( which I like ) but sadly no back light. However the biggest difference between them is the ability to lock your GB. You can do this on the M6, you cannot on the MX5. If you hunt iron infested sites like ghost towns etc , in dense iron the GB on the MX5 will get out of sorts do to all the iron and trying to auto track. That is why I have a M6 ( or any of the MXT's) is the ability to GB and lock it when hunting iron dense sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions