DFX versus AT Pro

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX is by far the better detector. There are many more options with the programs. ATP for instance does not have a Gain adjustment nor a real all metal mode without going through filters. True the DFX isn't water resistant to ten feet but the coils are more resistant to EMI unlike the AT Pro. Most hunters can leave the cell phone turned on. There are more coils available for the Whites to suit all hunting types.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a new owner of a used DFX I can tell you there is more than one BOOK written on how it works, and how to use it. ATP turn it on and go.. DFX turn it on a go, but if you want it to kick the ATP butt, you will need to suffer the learning curve. If you don't like messing with configurations and get impatient if something does not work how you think it should work right away, you may not want a DFX. It can do a lot of stuff the ATP can't.. wet sand to dry to wet.. no problem.. 3kHz only for deep silver, 15kHz for gold and jewelry or to combat EMI. DC phase to read ground mineralization and better ID gold from aluminum. 191 tones with tone ID on, Non-Motion mode along with Discrimination Motion alone or both at the same time with Mixed Mode.. Whites also still fixed them at a very reasonable price. I had the choice of buying anything I want, no price limit really, other than what I feel is justifiable to spend, I bought a used DFX since it is a really good bang for the buck!

Last edited:

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DFX also has a wide array of coils available for it.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all let me say that the price on that DFX is excellent. I can also tell your from personal experience that othere than the ability to submerge the ATP to 10 feet, the ATP won't hold a candle to the DFX in performance or the ability to customize the machine. The DFX can be set up to run in just about every situation thay you will come across in MDing. In my experience with the ATP (although I admit it's fairly limited) the digital readout is useless after about 6 inches and it becomes a tone ID only machine. My hunting buddy who used one as his primary machine for a long time said the same thing and that is why he got an Etrac. I personally think that Whites detectors have the best target identification and discrimination of all the detectors I have used (and that's most of them). I agree that the DFX has a learning curve and I learn more about mine every time I take it out and now with the Jeff Foster book, I am learning even more. If you take the time to learn the DFX and what it is capable of, you will not be disappointed. Remember, before the V series detectors, the DFX was the flagship of Whites machine and it is very capable.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I advise you to find a owner of both machines....other than Sandman....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive tried a recent version AT Pro and the DFX, both are great machines in my opinion. The DFX however beats the AT Pro any time any wet salty sand or heavily mineralized soil is involved. If you have access to lots of bodies of water, get caught out in the rain often, and enjoy fresh water detecting the AT pro is your best bet. I never been able to compare depth, i know my DFX air tests 12" on a quarter and 11" on a dime. Also if you're a techie and like to customize your machine, the DFX is better for those purposes. Both Garrett and White's are great companies with fantastic customer service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Thanks for the information provided. Might be helpful to someone.

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both detectors, the DFX and the AT PRO. The DFX has a lot more changes that can be made to it than the AT PRO, and it detects deeper than the AT PRO. If you are hunting in the rain then use the AT PRO. Both detectors work good, but if you want deeper targets use the DFX.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both, but just got the DFX. I'm having such good luck with the pro I can't put it down. But I'm anxious to get going with the DFX. The Pro is a good turn and go and water machine

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If you look you can see that I own a DFX. I didn't know how it compared to the AT pro. Just believed it was better. I did learn from the posts why a person would chose a pro over the DFX such as it being water proof and easy to learn. Plus its not a discontinued item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread