vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Indiana for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can't find someone here who has already done the leg work, you'll need to look up the rules yourself. They should be available online or at the appropriate governmental office. Just don't go in an ask for permission! You'll probably get a no and bring detecting to the attention of those in the office. Nothing good can come of that.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

If you can't find someone here who has already done the leg work, you'll need to look up the rules yourself. They should be available online or at the appropriate governmental office. Just don't go in an ask for permission! You'll probably get a no and bring detecting to the attention of those in the office. Nothing good can come of that.

Right. What mark is talking about is the old "no one cared .... UNTIL you asked" psychology. So if you are skittish that there might be a rule or law, look it up for yourself. If you see nothing that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it must not be prohibited :)

And, of course, use common due sense and avoid obvious historic monuments. But for regular run-of-the-mill parks, school yards, beaches, etc.... especially at city and county levels, it's rare to have any real "no detecting" rules. But as we say, if you're still skittish, you're welcome to look up the rules for yourself. Most cities and counties have websites, for instance, where their muni. codes, charter, etc... are. Or perhaps it's down at city hall available for public viewing in binder form, etc....

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Indiana State Parks are off limits, except for the sand or swimming beaches which you need to get a permit from the property manager.

From the in.gov website:
312 IAC 8-2-10 Preservation of habitat and natural and cultural resources
Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1
Affected: IC 14
Sec. 10. Except as authorized by a license, a person must not do any of the following within a DNR property:
(7) Use a metal detector, except on a sand, swimming beach as approved by an authorized representative.

As for your local city or county parks, as was stated before, if you don't see anything in writing on their website or signs at the park telling you not to, then go for it.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking, state parks are as described above, IDNR administered properties are prohibited other than as described. You can MD on private land as long as you have written permission from the property owner, be sure they spell out exactly what you can and cannot do, where you can go, etc. The DNR hunting guide has a downloadable permission form that you can print out, it can be used for written permission in case a Conservation Officer or cop asks for your permission slip. One big advantage to this form is that it clearly spells out the state law that indemnifies the property owner from liability if they allow you recreational use of their land, this can go a long way toward gaining you access from skittish landowners.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Generally speaking, state parks are as described above, IDNR administered properties are prohibited other than as described. You can MD on private land as long as you have written permission from the property owner, be sure they spell out exactly what you can and cannot do, where you can go, etc. The DNR hunting guide has a downloadable permission form that you can print out, it can be used for written permission in case a Conservation Officer or cop asks for your permission slip. One big advantage to this form is that it clearly spells out the state law that indemnifies the property owner from liability if they allow you recreational use of their land, this can go a long way toward gaining you access from skittish landowners.

Huh? Kevin, please tell us where you are reading/seeing that "written permission" is necessary from private property owners. Where is that written? Since when isn't a handshake and a friendly smile sufficient? If you've got a law that says that about Indiana's private land owners, I'd love to see it.

And also, I disagree that such a printed permission contract form can "go a long way toward gaining permission from skittish landowners". On the contrary: If a total stranger shows up at someone's door with a contract for them to sign or get, that sounds like the FASTEST way to get a "no". Only conjurs up images of some sort of legal hassles, risks, etc....

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've only had two cases where I couldn't detect a city/town park. One local town absolutely prohibits MDing in their parks and it's $25 fine for doing so. This rule is prominently posted on the rules at the park entrance. In the other case I met up with the parent volunteers for a local kids ball league who didn't want me detecting because they rent the park for their league. That's okay, I'm just waiting for their season to end and hit the fields that they don't use.

jkoaltrades

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indiana lasw

I am a newbie and just wondered if anyone knew anything about the MDing laws in Indiana.... especially in State parks and on city owned riverbanks ??? Thanks, steevoe
UOTE=steevoe;3544573]I amand just wondered if anyone knew anything about the MDing laws in Indiana.... especially in State parks and on city owned riverbanks ??? Thanks, steevoe[/QUOTE]
ABSOLUTELY NO METAL DETECTORS ARE ALLOWED IN INDIANA STATE PARKS! You cannot detect on federally managed lands, military bases, or national parks, everywhere else is fair game, unless locally prohibited. As for private property, verbal permission is ok, written IS better. If you think Indiana laws are bad get this: I'm currently on vacation in North Carolina visiting family. The laws in North Carolina AND in Virginia are the absolute worst! Not only are metal detectors not alllowed on State properties, federal lands, military bases, you must apply for and be granted a written permit just to hunt rivers and creeks!(as long as it's not deemed historically significant). Then if you are fortunate enough to be granted a permit, some places allow you to use your metal detector, but you are not allowed to disturb the soil in any way:icon_scratch:!! If you are fortunate enough to get your written permit, and actually find something, if it's more than fifty (50) years old, then you are required to turn it over to the proper authorities or risk property confiscation, (including your metal detector), and fines plus possible imprisionment! I'm a relic already just having read this B.S.!!! The only places you can detect is private property, (good luck for an out-of-stater getting permission), or hit the ocean, as long as the beach doesn't fall under the above mentioned guidelines! I'm here for another week:censored:and I guess I'll be hitting the coastal beaches, (probably get stung by a jelly fish or ate by a shark), this Monday! It'd be nice if someone in the Fayetteville, North Carolina area would take me under their wings, but good luck on somebody taking a complete stranger to any of their honey holes. Just be thankful you live in Indiana, (as do I), where you can actually enjoy your/our hobby and not be treated as criminals.
a newbie

jkoaltrades

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indiana laws

UOTE=steevoe;3544573]I amand just wondered if anyone knew anything about the MDing laws in Indiana.... especially in State parks and on city owned riverbanks ??? Thanks, steevoe
ABSOLUTELY NO METAL DETECTORS ARE ALLOWED IN INDIANA STATE PARKS! You cannot detect on federally managed lands, military bases, or national parks, everywhere else is fair game, unless locally prohibited. As for private property, verbal permission is ok, written IS better. If you think Indiana laws are bad get this: I'm currently on vacation in North Carolina visiting family. The laws in North Carolina AND in Virginia are the absolute worst! Not only are metal detectors not alllowed on State properties, federal lands, military bases, you must apply for and be granted a written permit just to hunt rivers and creeks!(as long as it's not deemed historically significant). Then if you are fortunate enough to be granted a permit, some places allow you to use your metal detector, but you are not allowed to disturb the soil in any way:icon_scratch:!! If you are fortunate enough to get your written permit, and actually find something, if it's more than fifty (50) years old, then you are required to turn it over to the proper authorities or risk property confiscation, (including your metal detector), and fines plus possible imprisionment! I'm a relic already just having read this B.S.!!! The only places you can detect is private property, (good luck for an out-of-stater getting permission), or hit the ocean, as long as the beach doesn't fall under the above mentioned guidelines! I'm here for another week:censored:and I guess I'll be hitting the coastal beaches, (probably get stung by a jelly fish or ate by a shark), this Monday! It'd be nice if someone in the Fayetteville, North Carolina area would take me under their wings, but good luck on somebody taking a complete stranger to any of their honey holes. Just be thankful you live in Indiana, (as do I), where you can actually enjoy your/our hobby and not be treated as criminals.
a newbie[/QUOTE]

Metal detecting is effectively outlawed here in North Carolina AND Virginia!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
huh?

jkoaltrades, you say:

"ABSOLUTELY NO METAL DETECTORS ARE ALLOWED IN INDIANA STATE PARKS! You cannot detect on federally managed lands, military bases, or national parks, everywhere else is fair game, unless locally prohibited. As for private property, verbal permission is ok, written IS better. If you think Indiana laws are bad get this: I'm currently on vacation in North Carolina visiting family. The laws in North Carolina AND in Virginia are the absolute worst! Not only are metal detectors not alllowed on State properties, federal lands, military bases, you must apply for and be granted a written permit just to hunt rivers and creeks!(as long as it's not deemed historically significant). Then if you are fortunate enough to be granted a permit, some places allow you to use your metal detector, but you are not allowed to disturb the soil in any way:icon_scratch:!! If you are fortunate enough to get your written permit, and actually find something, if it's more than fifty (50) years old, then you are required to turn it over to the proper authorities or risk property confiscation, (including your metal detector), and fines plus possible imprisionment! I'm a relic already just having read this B.S.!!! The only places you can detect is private property, (good luck for an out-of-stater getting permission), or hit the ocean, as long as the beach doesn't fall under the above mentioned guidelines! I'm here for another week:censored:and I guess I'll be hitting the coastal beaches, (probably get stung by a jelly fish or ate by a shark), this Monday! It'd be nice if someone in the Fayetteville, North Carolina area would take me under their wings, but good luck on somebody taking a complete stranger to any of their honey holes. Just be thankful you live in Indiana, (as do I), where you can actually enjoy your/our hobby and not be treated as criminals.
a newbie "

Uh, Where are you getting your information from ?? :icon_scratch:

See this site: Federation of Metal Detector & Archaeological Clubs Inc.

As you can see, your info about Indiana and Virginia state parks is not accurate. You can detect (at least on sandy beaches, blah blah). And even though there's verbage about "... yes with permission at kiosk" type stuff, the same is said when you look at the entry on that list for CA. Yet I can tell you for a fact, that you can detect state of CA beaches till you're blue in the face, and no one cares. And no, no one goes to the beach/park office at each stop and asks permission. They would look at you like your from outer space, shrug their shoulders, and say "what planet are you from?" Hence even that list (some dire things you might read), needs to be taken with a bit of understanding of "actual practice" and knowledge about how such lists came into being (because notice rarely is there ever any rules or laws cited, to back up what some desk jockey answered to this "pressing question". Often time just the "safe answer" they find by morphing something else to apply (disturbing earthworms, etc...) when in fact, no one cares. However, as silly as those type lists can be (the need to read between the lines), yet it's HARD to argue with variations of "yes", right?

So ..... again, where are you getting your information?

And as for military bases, I've hunted scores of them. Yup, right in front of passing MP's who venture nothing but a friendly wave. So who says you can't ? OH sure, I'm not saying that you will absolutely never get someone to morph something to boot you, if they were in a bad mood (like if you're snooping around obvious historic monuments, or waltzing right through PT fields while trainees are trying to work out, or md'ing right outside the windows of the women's barracks right at shower time). So, again, where is it written that all military bases are off-limits? I guess I've just not asked enough questions when I've done it. Shucks, guess I'll have to go put back all that silver I've found in 35+ yrs, :BangHead:

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey Kevin1
i own lots of land and if you came here for written permission...i`d run you off but fast...if you came here and just asked = oral permission we would go out and have a good time MDing.
In 44 years of doing this i have never asked for a note from the homeowner/landowner, to detect...that is just silly...and will cut your chances to hunt their property far more than it will help.
Gary

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Kevin1
i own lots of land and if you came here for written permission...i`d run you off but fast...if you came here and just asked = oral permission we would go out and have a good time MDing.
In 44 years of doing this i have never asked for a note from the homeowner/landowner, to detect...that is just silly...and will cut your chances to hunt their property far more than it will help.
Gary

Right. Showing up at a total strangers door with a contract for them to sign (or look at, or be given, or whatever), seems like the FASTEST way to get a "no". Eh? Only conjurs up legal ramifications, risk, danger, hassles, etc... Since when isn't a smile and a handshake sufficient ?

jkoaltrades

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jkoaltrades, you say:

"ABSOLUTELY NO METAL DETECTORS ARE ALLOWED IN INDIANA STATE PARKS! You cannot detect on federally managed lands, military bases, or national parks, everywhere else is fair game, unless locally prohibited. As for private property, verbal permission is ok, written IS better. If you think Indiana laws are bad get this: I'm currently on vacation in North Carolina visiting family. The laws in North Carolina AND in Virginia are the absolute worst! Not only are metal detectors not alllowed on State properties, federal lands, military bases, you must apply for and be granted a written permit just to hunt rivers and creeks!(as long as it's not deemed historically significant). Then if you are fortunate enough to be granted a permit, some places allow you to use your metal detector, but you are not allowed to disturb the soil in any way:icon_scratch:!! If you are fortunate enough to get your written permit, and actually find something, if it's more than fifty (50) years old, then you are required to turn it over to the proper authorities or risk property confiscation, (including your metal detector), and fines plus possible imprisionment! I'm a relic already just having read this B.S.!!! The only places you can detect is private property, (good luck for an out-of-stater getting permission), or hit the ocean, as long as the beach doesn't fall under the above mentioned guidelines! I'm here for another week:censored:and I guess I'll be hitting the coastal beaches, (probably get stung by a jelly fish or ate by a shark), this Monday! It'd be nice if someone in the Fayetteville, North Carolina area would take me under their wings, but good luck on somebody taking a complete stranger to any of their honey holes. Just be thankful you live in Indiana, (as do I), where you can actually enjoy your/our hobby and not be treated as criminals.
a newbie "

Uh, Where are you getting your information from ?? :icon_scratch:

See this site: Federation of Metal Detector & Archaeological Clubs Inc.

As you can see, your info about Indiana and Virginia state parks is not accurate. You can detect (at least on sandy beaches, blah blah). And even though there's verbage about "... yes with permission at kiosk" type stuff, the same is said when you look at the entry on that list for CA. Yet I can tell you for a fact, that you can detect state of CA beaches till you're blue in the face, and no one cares. And no, no one goes to the beach/park office at each stop and asks permission. They would look at you like your from outer space, shrug their shoulders, and say "what planet are you from?" Hence even that list (some dire things you might read), needs to be taken with a bit of understanding of "actual practice" and knowledge about how such lists came into being (because notice rarely is there ever any rules or laws cited, to back up what some desk jockey answered to this "pressing question". Often time just the "safe answer" they find by morphing something else to apply (disturbing earthworms, etc...) when in fact, no one cares. However, as silly as those type lists can be (the need to read between the lines), yet it's HARD to argue with variations of "yes", right?

So ..... again, where are you getting your information?

And as for military bases, I've hunted scores of them. Yup, right in front of passing MP's who venture nothing but a friendly wave. So who says you can't ? OH sure, I'm not saying that you will absolutely never get someone to morph something to boot you, if they were in a bad mood (like if you're snooping around obvious historic monuments, or waltzing right through PT fields while trainees are trying to work out, or md'ing right outside the windows of the women's barracks right at shower time). So, again, where is it written that all military bases are off-limits? I guess I've just not asked enough questions when I've done it. Shucks, guess I'll have to go put back all that silver I've found in 35+ yrs, :BangHead:

Simply go to the respective states' web site, it is Clearly stated , "NO METAL DETECTORS ALLOWED IN STATE PARKS"! LOOK IT UP

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Simply go to the respective states' web site, it is Clearly stated , "NO METAL DETECTORS ALLOWED IN STATE PARKS"! LOOK IT UP

Ok, I've gone to Indiana and Virginia's websites, and done a series of key-word searches within them. I fail to see where metal detecting (detectors) is dis-allowed. Perhaps I'm just not seeing it, or not doing the right word combo's, or the site's word-search function is lacking in some way? So do you have a link please?

The only thing I could find was that 2 individual state parks in Indiana (not "all" state parks in nor the state property as a whole, nor the state's parks as a whole, just those 2 parks)

So .... I'll bite ... where are you getting your info? Not saying it's not there or isn't true. Just wondering where you get that, if you can provide links please.

thanx

jkoaltrades

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just go to "Indiana State Parks", then look up "Rules and Regulations". I also looked up the rules and regulations for North Carolina and Virginia, there is mention here that indicates that one could metal detect after September 1st, with permission, as long as it's not historically significant, and only on the beaches or swimming areas, but try calling and getting permission! You get a flat out 'NO, you cannot remove or disturb anything in the park!' After several calls to several different parks, i started to get the same answer over and over. I even questioned the fact that if nothing is allowed to be removed from the parks, then what if you were to catch a fish, would you have to throw it back? I am telling you, our hobby is off limits in STATE PARKS!, of course unless you are a STATE PARK EMPLOYEE!! I could understand them not wanting people digging dirt on the campsites, but to NOT ALLOW us to even sift sand on the beaches and swimming areas is simply B.S!! I only responded because some people on here are telling rookies to " go ahead, you can metal detect State Parks! One fellow elsewhere even advises, "just take your metal detector and just do it, don't worry about permission, I do it all the time"!!!! piz poor advise if you ask me, especially if someone were to heed that advise and get their metal detector confiscated, fined, or worse! If you'd like, I can even provide you with phone numbers of places I contacted. Let's face it folks, our hobby is being outlawed in alot of places, of course I like it when you are told that "you can use your metal detector if you like, but you cannot dig or disturb the sand or soil"!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

just go to "Indiana State Parks", then look up "Rules and Regulations". I also looked up the rules and regulations for North Carolina and Virginia, there is mention here that indicates that one could metal detect after September 1st, with permission, as long as it's not historically significant, and only on the beaches or swimming areas, but try calling and getting permission! You get a flat out 'NO, you cannot remove or disturb anything in the park!' After several calls to several different parks, i started to get the same answer over and over. I even questioned the fact that if nothing is allowed to be removed from the parks, then what if you were to catch a fish, would you have to throw it back? I am telling you, our hobby is off limits in STATE PARKS!, of course unless you are a STATE PARK EMPLOYEE!! I could understand them not wanting people digging dirt on the campsites, but to NOT ALLOW us to even sift sand on the beaches and swimming areas is simply B.S!! I only responded because some people on here are telling rookies to " go ahead, you can metal detect State Parks! One fellow elsewhere even advises, "just take your metal detector and just do it, don't worry about permission, I do it all the time"!!!! piz poor advise if you ask me, especially if someone were to heed that advise and get their metal detector confiscated, fined, or worse! If you'd like, I can even provide you with phone numbers of places I contacted. Let's face it folks, our hobby is being outlawed in alot of places, of course I like it when you are told that "you can use your metal detector if you like, but you cannot dig or disturb the sand or soil"!!!

jkoaltrades, focussing on Indiana State parks, for the moment, I've done just what you're saying. I've gone to the Indiana State parks website. Tell me if this is the right site:

DNR: SPR

If so, I don't see a clickable link to "rules and regulations". However, I see that under the tab "publications", there are various publications about rules. And then clicking there, I see various rules (like this page: http://www.in.gov/dnr/6468.htm) yet nothing saying "no metal detecting". Perhaps I'm just not seeing the right link? So can please let me know where the "no detecting" rule is, if you can please link here.

OR ARE YOU SAYING THAT: the rules you (and/or they when you asked) DEEM to mean "no detecting" is the verbage about "removing" "taking" "collecting", "disturbing" "digging", etc....?

In other words, have you found a case where there may be nothing specifically saying "no detecting", yet are concluding that detecting is still a no-no, because of the other anciallary verbage morphed to apply? (yes, and perhaps someone's even said "this applies to effectively nix md'ing).

Please let me know whether there's specific prohibition, or this ancillary type general wording.

thanx!

Last edited:

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have said before, the use of a metal detector is prohibited on IN DNR properties, except on the beaches of those properties that have beaches and in those cases a permit must be obtained from the property manager of those properties. There is nothing that states that "ABSOLUTELY NO METAL DETECTORS ARE ALLOWED IN INDIANA STATE PARKS". Here are the laws regarding the use of DNR properties in Indiana as taken from the state of Indiana website : http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/312IAC8.pdf . (The rule regarding metal detecting is at the end of page 7 and the beginning of page 8). That being said, I can tell you having worked at Clifty Falls State Park in Indiana for a number of years that I myself have personally have seen a number of people metal detecting there over the years, and we had always overlooked them and just let them keep on going as long as holes were filled properly.

Last edited:

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also get an informational brochure at the entrance of each specific INDNR property and that lists the rules and regulations of that particular property. Here is an example from the State Park I worked at:

Attachments

• DSC02434.JPG
    DSC02434.JPG
    564.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC02435.JPG
    DSC02435.JPG
    654.7 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC02436.JPG
    DSC02436.JPG
    499.6 KB · Views: 213

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A conservation officer can ticket you for detecting on DNR controlled property. I had an accidental run in with one earlier this year and he informed me of this. As for State Parks, just look up the rules specific to that park. I know they can ticket you for digging within so many feet of the Ohio River due to artifact hunters in the past digging giant holes on the river banks and causing erosion problems. My dad can remember giant holes the size of cars next to the river back in the 60s and 70s, where these guys would destroy the bank and just leave it wide open.

I never get written permission to detect private property. If someone asked me for permission to detect then wanted me to sign a bunch of papers, I would get rid of them pretty fast.

Finding places to detect just requires common sense. Federal property, secure Military bases, Railroad Property, protected historical landmarks.... its pretty obvious to stay away from these places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread