underwater salvage

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• whatitis.jpg
    whatitis.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,756

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can only assume that the mods set this up to keep guys like me from asking questions about salvage techniques and equipment in a SHIPWRECK forum :D

It would clean things up a bit to only discuss the wrecks themselves over there, and discuss all the machinery and technique over here. However it's sat here for quite a while with no posts...while we continue to discuss off topic things in the shipwreck forum. An unruly lot of scaberrous dogs we are! Thar'll be a keel haulin' waitin' us if we don't change our ways. :D

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
HAHA!

Thanks for noticing the new forum, NOW maybe you guys can act like proper pirates! ;D

Actually I had two reasons for creating the forum. 1. was to annoy you guys. lol 2., was to help search engines find the Shipwreck Forum.

I thought MAYBE you could post equipment info here, but if you prefer the old forum, that's ok too... BUT - if you do post some marine/salvage equipment-related posts here, it might help our search engine rankings :).

If there is some other sub-category structure you would prefer, let me know!

What about a forum just for posting known shipwreck coordinates?

Just trying to improve things around here!

Thanks for your feedback!

aaarrrggghhhhh!!!!!

:D

Marc

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do salvage any more off the Fl. coast, but it was fun an I still remember how. It is always a learning process.

As for sub-categories, how about Thong appraisal?

Sandman

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Now you're talkin' Sandman...I like the thong appraisel idea. Some folks just don't understand all the facets of beach hunting...

Jason

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Weekend after next JAS, I'll be doing some beach hunting (for treasures of several sorts...silver, gold, bronze tanned, etc. ;) ) anytime I'm not in the water with you and/or SeaHunter. I plan to visit the Fisher Museum one afternoon, but other than that I'm treasure hunting!!! I'll probably hang out until Friday the 13th (yikes).

Jason

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Haha - well, that is part of the job - thong approval - I'll put that under "How To Shwing Your Detector". ;D he he

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, as one of the moderators I will state that I will not delete this post. The only bad thing about this photo is that it was not taken on the bow of my boat, and hmmmmmm doesn't look like the bow of yours either!

I think we are both going to have to work on that!

Tom

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Marc, I think you've accomplished your goal. Our search engine ranking just went WAY up. Thong Thong Thong :D

Actually Tom, that boat ran aground shortly after that picture was taken, so in a way it is a shipwreck. The captain cited distractive scenery as the cause of the accident.

Jason

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
JAS, we can do some "intern scouting" while I'm out your way :D

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How about a Speedo sub-catagory? But that would destabilize trhe search engine.

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey tom,

meet my new dive crew.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, one of the other Moderators deleted your last with the picture of your crew. However, I was able to view it in the trash folder on the Moderator Forum. :o Just give me a holler the next time you have that crew aboard, and I will be your deck hand.

Tom

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres some pics of the salvage operation at finns marina in sebastian from 2 weeks ago,once again frank burrows came with me and chris from tnet came down from cocoa beach to give us a hand and to get some experience in some blackwater diving on the sailboat wreck.we are just about done with this one.have a few small pieces of fiberglass to trim of with the uw saw,plus found some metal sticking up from the remains of the helm.will have to be cut with a uw cut off saw that i will borrow from another salvage firm.we raised the entire upper deck off the boat with helm intact.it was too big to get on the deck boat so we cut it in pieces big enough to handle to put on the deck boat.the helm will be a yard ornament in my back yard:)

Attachments

• marinasalvage1.jpg
    marinasalvage1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,151
  • marinasalvage2.jpg
    marinasalvage2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,155
  • marinasalvage3.jpg
    marinasalvage3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,128
  • marinasalvage4.jpg
    marinasalvage4.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,147
  • marinasalvage5.jpg
    marinasalvage5.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,137

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey fisheye...

I do all my underwater salvage with inflatable Carter liftbags, but I try to get to the wrecks before all the seaweed, mud and barnacles build up on them!! :D You must have had your hands full with these jobs. Hope the price of diving and salvage went up when you brought the hydraulic chain saws into the water! Good luck and safe diving to you and those you dive with.

Wayne

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey John, sorry I missed you in Sebastian this week. We stumbled onto...let's just say a very interesting site...which ended up consuming a lot of my time. Now I'm busy cleaning artifacts. :D

Next time we'll definitely get together...it was a little rough out on the 1715 lease anyways, sop we headed to Jupiter inlet and had a great day down there.

Jason

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Fisheye...

Here's the one I "caught" today... a 48' Viking that sank at the dock at the Wentworth by the Sea Marina, in Newcastle, NH. When asked why it sank, I informed them, "There was too much water in it."

Anyway, the wind was still blowing around 50mph, so I went back to the shop to mobilize the air bags, straps, pumps and gear. I'll post some more pics after we raise it.

Wayne

Attachments

• viking salvage2.JPG
    viking salvage2.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 1,091
  • viking salvage1.JPG
    viking salvage1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,078

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread