Magnetic Gold?!?

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
My uncle was telling me about a guy who takes all of his black sand and dries it out really good. Once its bone dry he takes a magnet over the whole thing and the magnetite sticks to the magnet and whats left is gold. Would it pay to wire a few neodymiums to the bottom say under a waterfall or close to it and just go back every once in a while and clean the magnets off? Maybe attach a few magnets onto a larger metal plate to increase the range of the magnet and collect even more? Would it be possible to get an ounce of gold out of say a 5 gallon bucket of black sand this way or is this another wild pipe dream? I think hiking a few miles of stream in the spring and periodical dropping these "gold traps" every so often and checking on them in the fall might get you enough to add a few hundred or maybe even a few thousand dollars to your income every year, depending on the scale of the project and the amount of time devoted to it. Any thoughts? Swizzle

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
swizzle said:
My uncle was telling me about a guy who takes all of his black sand and dries it out really good. Once its bone dry he takes a magnet over the whole thing and the magnetite sticks to the magnet and whats left is gold.
Good in theory, but in practice, its a little more complicated than that. Not all that glitters is gold and not all that is black is iron. It sounds like that "guy" is kind of wasteful and I'd sure like to have his black sand if its anything like here in British Columbia where about 50% of the gold contains ferrous material. Which makes it influenced by magnetic fields and causes it to appear in different colors including black, (like black sand).
Would it pay to wire a few neodymiums to the bottom say under a waterfall or close to it and just go back every once in a while and clean the magnets off? Maybe attach a few magnets onto a larger metal plate to increase the range of the magnet and collect even more?
Depends on the area and overhead. Magnets aren't that cheap and you would have to find just the right spot to place them where they wouldn't come loose and end up somewhere down stream. Attaching magnets to a metal, (steel, or iron) plate would help, but only within limits, which is why car stereo speakers don't increase in magnetic field strength beyond a certain point when a larger piece of steel is added to them, (thus the reason for ever larger magnets being used for larger speakers.)

Then there are the environmental considerations. I don't know what the laws are in the U.S., but anything that disrupts the watercourse and effects fish habitat here, is a no no. If I got caught doing that sort of thing, it could mean the loss of my vehicle, equipment and a good sized fine, (maybe even the possible threat of a prison term).
Would it be possible to get an ounce of gold out of say a 5 gallon bucket of black sand this way or is this another wild pipe dream? I think hiking a few miles of stream in the spring and periodical dropping these "gold traps" every so often and checking on them in the fall might get you enough to add a few hundred or maybe even a few thousand dollars to your income every year, depending on the scale of the project and the amount of time devoted to it. Any thoughts? Swizzle

If they were still there in the fall to retrieve you might get black sand, part of which may contain an alloy of iron and gold. But then you would have to separate it through leaching or some other method. the Magnets wouldn't pick up any gold by itself, so I wouldn't think of it as a "gold trap". If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

F.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goldmine.jpg

There's about $500,000 worth of gold in every cubic MILE of saltwater right out of the ocean. Take you five gallon pail and fill it with seawater and you'll have . . . not much gold at all.

People have been trying to find easy ways to extract gold for 60,000 years. If it was easy it wouldn't be worth much. ;)

BlackKnight

Feb 7, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Five years ago I brought these plans to the local school of engineering. The teachers were (all) very doubtful about how this device could work, especially for underwater use.

Quickly enough, they came up with a *huge* list of issues and problems that could turn the thing out to be more dangerous and cumbersome than efficient -or even doable-.

This put an end to the joke project. ;D

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Swizzle,

There already exists a sluice made with magnetic riffles. Go to www.cleangold.com and check it out. I only have one 'Econo sluice' and it is very good at capturing the gold. The guy that came up with it is a scientist who gets nice super fine gold on a beach that has no history of gold. His goal is to get people in poor gold producing areas of the world to stop using mercury and use magnetic sluices which have been proven many times to get the gold as efficiently as mercury. This is state of the art.

Hope this helps,

Randy

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Recovery of metal from the ocean floor is a real thing.
I posted a long version, elsewhere on the forum, a while back... can't recall where...
There are deposits of valuable minerals, that may include a significant percentage of gold, that form into what is known as nodules, at great depths in certain areas.
An american company has done exploratory work and testing of systems to vacuum up those concentrates.It is not profitable, at this time.
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread