Idea For Planned Hunts

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
I've never participated in a "club", or other type of "planned" hunt, but I'd like to see one that tests both the skills of the person and the metal detector. This is what I think a hunt should be like.

1) Planners of the event would lay out a course with a few very long cloth type tape measures beside it and after ensuring the course was "clean" of any metal objects, "salt" the course with a variety of objects, (targets), at varying depths, perhaps sprinkling some black sand in the area of some targets. Digging the holes to bury the targets would naturally leave indications of recent ground disturbance where holes were dug, so several extra "false" holes would be made that have nothing buried beneath them, (if only to leave people guessing).

2) Participants wouldn't dig anything, but would still be timed to see how long it takes them to complete the course. Participants would receive a sheet, stamped with the start time, (and later on, with the end time), which they would use to provide information on the metal detector and coil they are using, (allowing them to run the course once with each of the metal detectors and coil combinations they have), and as they followed the course, they would mark down the following information:

A) The location of the "hit" from they're detector and coil,
B) What indications they're detector showed as a result of the "hit" and
C) What, (based on they're experience), they believe is contained in that location and,
D) At what depth the object should be found.

A good sized hunt with a variety of targets and variations in depth, could result in a collection of data that could easily be compiled to provide everyone with useful information on which types of detectors and coils are good to use for coin hunting, relic hunting, or nugget hunting. And which give people trouble with false readings, or are generally difficult to use, etc.

Thats my thoughts on the matter. If anyone has any constructive suggestions to add, feel free to do so.

F.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only if you're going to run different classes. The analog detectors give you a "beep" but don't display depth, conductivity, heads-or-tails orientation, ring size, stone color, etc. With my Musky I can't tell a dime from a cent or a quarter at 6" vs. a cent at 3". Part of the fun is the surprise.

But I would be very nterested in seeing the results of the hunt you suggest. Reviews I have seen are by folks who have used a certain detector only briefly. Put a bunch of guys together on a set course with their own machines they have had time with and see who does what with which.

With sailboats (and golfers) there is a handicapping based on the results of past performance so they can compete together. Be interesting to see which detector gets the highest handicap or lowest Portsmouth Number or if it really is the hand and head behind it.

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Only if you're going to run different classes. The analog detectors give you a "beep" but don't display depth, conductivity, heads-or-tails orientation, ring size, stone color, etc. With my Musky I can't tell a dime from a cent or a quarter at 6" vs. a cent at 3". Part of the fun is the surprise.
Yep, different classes for the digital and fuzzy logic people. Personally I haven't tried any newer detectors with digital readouts, but from what I've seen on here, the benefits are questionable. Nobody can watch a digital display as your swinging an MD from side to side and most rely on the audible tones before looking at the display.
But I would be very interested in seeing the results of the hunt you suggest. Reviews I have seen are by folks who have used a certain detector only briefly. Put a bunch of guys together on a set course with their own machines they have had time with and see who does what with which.
I always question the results of reviews, even when done by a person knowledgeable of MD's in general. Let those who know they're machines, run them through a slalom course with different ground conditions, throw in some sand traps, a few pieces of ironstone/hotrocks and some black sand, maybe a water trap, or two (salted and unsalted), and see how they really compare.
With sailboats (and golfers) there is a handicapping based on the results of past performance so they can compete together. Be interesting to see which detector gets the highest handicap or lowest Portsmouth Number or if it really is the hand and head behind it.
Visions of MD's with feet come to mind. :D

Maybe there should be a "handicapped" competition, with a blindfold over the display of those using MD's with a digital readout? And maybe a readout only competition without the use of audio? It might look like a marching tennis match with people swinging they're machines, while following the displays with they're eyes. ::)

All that would be needed is a "clean" patch of ground. A freshly rototilled/plowed area would be good for digging up any metals, or minerals already there and would make placing of "targets' easier, before packing the surface down.

I just read about people cheating during organized hunts and was thinking that the person who "placed" the items to be detected were given those items sealed and sandwiched between two pieces of thick plastic, (and supervised while burying them), they wouldn't know what item was being buried. Only the person who sealed the items would know what was in the particular sealed piece of plastic and if every item was numbered, a second person could have the information on where that numbered item was buried. And to verify the final results of the competition, the items could be dug up afterwards, (under supervision), to ensure that the proper items were indeed at the intended locations. It sounds more complex than it really is, but it would be workable.

The one part of this that would be a challenge, is having select people, or a person with computer('s) that would enter the results of each person as they completed the course, to decide on who the winners were and announcing the results after all contestants were finished. There would be some logistics to work out, but I think it would be interesting, entertaining and informative. (I wouldn't recommend a new MD as a prize though, since it might turn out that the particular brand and model of MD given actually bombed on the courses.)

I guess I should have posted this in the TNet Member Hunt's forum, but oh well, too late now. Maybe the moderator gods will shine down and move this post over there. ;D

F.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread