Magnetic Half?

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to TD today to dump $500 in halves. Checked the magnet, got a canadian quarter. YAY
Anyway, the teller came out, opened the machine and changed out the bags as usual. When he was done, and put the top of the machine back in, he checked the magnet and saw that there was one of my kennedy's stuck to the magnet. I never check the magnet after i am done, and i definitely never had a teller check FOR me.

Anyway, i have a 1974 Kennedy which is magnetic. From the side it looks identical to the others. But it sounds different and definitely sticks to a magnet.

If its a magicians coin, then i cant really figure out how to open it. Any ideas? I have not weighed it yet. I have not heard of Wrong Planchet Kennedy's so i am noto really sure what it is.

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Could definitely be a magician coin. A squirt of freeze-it (or, a few drops of liquid N2) should open it up. Otherwise, there are old posts of how ppl have opened them.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a thick Mason jar and shake the coin inside till it opens. Be careful, because the stubborn ones can break the glass.

I use a thick plastic glass or tumbler. It won't break, and has opened every one I have found so far.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, every magician's coin I have found so far doesn't "clink" or "clank" when dropped on a table. It just "thuds" if that makes sense.

OP
OP
R

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely thuds. I didnt realize it was a magician's coin, since it is perfectly aligned. I will have to throw it into a pickle jar when i get home and shake shake shake it.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
It definitely thuds. I didnt realize it was a magician's coin, since it is perfectly aligned. I will have to throw it into a pickle jar when i get home and shake shake shake it.
Shaking the pickle jar is exactly what I was planning to do this evening. :tard:

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one like that too, it would not go through the coin machine and sounds completely different when dropped on a table. What was done to it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread