Magnetic tool...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm thinking of getting a "skateboard wheel" shaped Neodymium magnet and mounting it on a rod/pole/etc for some of the places I detect that are surface littered with baling wire, nails, and the like... Anyone use anything like this?

I figure it won't be too cumbersome and it's nice to have something to lean on occasionally haha.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought this magnet from K&J and I plan to stick it into a piece of PVC, cap it and then place it at the end of a stick. The neodymium magnets are fragile because they are so hard and I feel that the PVC will protect it a bit. (I had one shatter on me)

K&J Magnetics - Products

BTW, I don't remember what this magnet is rated to, but if is very difficult to pull it straight off of a metal surface. I think that I tested it with 10 lbs and it easily lifted that.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought this magnet from K&J and I plan to stick it into a piece of PVC, cap it and then place it at the end of a stick. The neodymium magnets are fragile because they are so hard and I feel that the PVC will protect it a bit. (I had one shatter on me) K&J Magnetics - Products BTW, I don't remember what this magnet is rated to, but if is very difficult to pull it straight off of a metal surface. I think that I tested it with 10 lbs and it easily lifted that.

Protecting a Neodymium magnet with PVC.
That is way better than having one face exposed by just having it mounted in a Nickel plated
magnet cup!!!!

I'm thinking the PVC is a must, because in wanting something in the +/- 30 pound pick up ability.
I saw a video recently of this "magnet fishing" method and I want to try it at least once. Haha

This is the kind of tips/tricks/suggestions I was looking for.
Great tip, Pointman.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go on YouTube and look for Beau Ouimette, a.k.a. Aquachigger,Beau has a video about some picks that he uses for underwater metal detecting that have a magnet on the end.You might find this useful .

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought this magnet from K&J and I plan to stick it into a piece of PVC, cap it and then place it at the end of a stick. The neodymium magnets are fragile because they are so hard and I feel that the PVC will protect it a bit. (I had one shatter on me)

K&J Magnetics - Products

BTW, I don't remember what this magnet is rated to, but if is very difficult to pull it straight off of a metal surface. I think that I tested it with 10 lbs and it easily lifted that.[/QUOTE

Excellent idea. :icon_thumleft:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple solution & fairly cheap too! Hit the thrift stores etc. Grab up a few hard drives that are trashed. They're easy to disassemble. You get two neo magnets per drive. Mount your magnets to a piece of wood cut to fit in a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe in a row. If you want to get real fancy, heat the PVC until you can flatten one side (the side the magnets are on. You can even use a Tupperware to cover etc. Add a piece of 3/4" PVC for a handle and you're good to go for next to nothing! I've used mine for meteorites, clearing nails, cleaning black sand from dry washer concentrates. You can make this as long as you want or need. Where the hack else are you gonna get an all purpose tool for under $20?

Also, be aware of where you store your stick! And most important!!! Don't walk close to the pickup with it in your cargo shorts pocket. Believe me it's hard to maintain your dignity while trying to pry yourself off the side of the truck!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think one of these that are meant for mounting would be much better. More pull force, wider area and already protected.
K&J Magnetics - Products

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one I made using hard drive magnet and old metal detecting shaft...
IMG_1667.JPG
Here is my Original Post... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tool-shed/300995-i-love-my-new-pro-mag.html
Almost forgot I use this most in wood chips.

ODA 226

Jan 5, 2014
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett Sea Hunter MK II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab Go Find 60
Land and Sea Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett Recovery Tool has an extremely strong magnet in the handle and it can be used as a digger too.

imag025.jpg

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya harbor freight is where I got my magnets 10 of them for like $3 well worth it I'm still a young guy & put the 10 together its almost impossible to pull them apart straight really really strong called rare earth magnets great for in plugs or searching threw a pile of tailings or whatever ur doin

Mangler

Feb 28, 2014
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, BH Quick Draw 2, Vulcan 360, Modified Fiskars Big Grip Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I added a rare earth magnet to my Fiskars by drilling a hole on the end and press fitting it. It works like a champ:headbang: IMAG0015.jpg

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made my own from a neodymium magnet, and it works great. But the magnet is an odd shape, so I can't just add it to any old handle. The magnet is large, roughly crescent shaped, from a hard drive.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own from a neodymium magnet, and it works great. But the magnet is an odd shape, so I can't just add it to any old handle. The magnet is large, roughly crescent shaped, from a hard drive.
Just throw it in a small Tupperware container. Pop the lid off pick up the magnet & all the black sand falls off. Makes cleaning easy. Add a string loop to hang it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two of the neo magnets mounted on post hole handle. They are rated like 250 lbs? Be careful or the will smash a finger or slam into the side of your truck as you walk by. I am clearing out all the rail plates and spikes under a civil war bride and hopping to ring relics next spring. Thyy are a great tool. Buy the one with the hole in it mounted in metal that is round for an easy strong mount. Aqua Chigger(Beau Omulet) gave me some great ideas.
Good luck!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think one of these that are meant for mounting would be much better. More pull force, wider area and already protected.
K&J Magnetics - Products

I've been looking at the 30-pounder. That one would screw right nicely to a wooden pick handle. I'd love to then coat it with several coats of spray bedliner, just to keep it safe and washable. Ideally, a pick with a fiberglass handle and this magnet on the butt end of the handle would be a top-notch setup.

Does anyone ever worry about strong magnetic force around their watches or cellphones?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone ever worry about strong magnetic force around their watches or cellphones?

Nope, but I really hate when it gets stuck to the steel plate in my head! :-)

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one of these magnets from Harbor Freight (HF has them in various sizes and pulls) and attached to the top of a small pick/planter I also bought from Harbor Freight. You simply attach it to either end of the pick/planter handle with a wood screw.

Magnet - 66mm Round Magnet
Pick/Planter - Garden Pick / Planter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread