Mail Boxes:

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Can anyone tell me what it will cost to construct a Mail Box that will fit a single out board motor. One about the same size that Salvor6 displayed a while back.
If you were building one for a one time use could you not do a layout with square sides like an actual box design and then screw the thing together. This IS for a ONE TIME use and fabricating and welding a bunch of aluminum together would cost a ton of money?
Unless someone has one for sale they no longer need.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Lets say that my prop is 12" wide. Is there a formula that I should use in constructing the radius of the tubing for the blower?
Thanks
Peg Leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleg,

Heres a mailbox that a single outboard motor will fit in,even your whole boat will fit in it!thats me in the pic so you can see just how big it really is.

Attachments

• outboardmailbox.jpg
    outboardmailbox.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 402
OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Yes sir,
That is a good size blower but I am not trying to drill to the center of the earth ;D
Peg Leg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
PegLeg,

I drew up the schematics for a 18" blower that could be attached the same way salvor6 did with his blower. If you need a different size I can modify the dimensions to fit. If your prop is 12" your blower should be 14-16". As for cost, I got estimates from $1000 to $1500.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=41

Are you looking to build it yourself?

Robert in SC

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
After going back and reading our first post you mentioned making one from a box. Why not just build a deflector plate that you can lock in around the foot. You would need to build it out of steel or aluminum to keep it from breaking lose and make sure it is braced very good. That should be pretty simple and works good for shallow water.

The Enterprise down in Jupiter used deflector plates and he was blowing in as much as 25-30' of water. Of course much bigger props!

Robert in SC

Cablava

May 24, 2005
I have used HDPE water pipe (comes in lots of sizes) to make throw away blowers for outboards, easy to work and as you can buy the 90 degree bends and then insert the length of pipe required for your blower the construction is rapid. As its a soft pipe it easy to drill the attachments. Very simple, effective, light, and works. The down side was I always had to buy a full length of pipe and had lots left over. (but we did use it all over the jobs).

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Peg Leg, I sold my boat. I have the blowers and they are for sale, $1,000 each if you or anyone else is interested.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisheye,
Now I'm curious what the rest of that rig looks like??? Got anymore pics?

Thanks,
Brad

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I am not really sure if I need a blower or an auger type device.
Got some serious hits with a MD but the problem was the rocks. They ranged in size from pebbles to bigger than bowling balls. The mud and silt will be no problem, it can be blown away but the rocks ARE a problem. The viz is "O" which means that they have to be moved by hand and then put somewhere.
I was thinking about using a large PVC tube and inserting AUGER type blades and do a type of drilling through the lose rocks to the hit area. The hit area is not over 4 feet down at low tide.
The auger blade systen can be made from trailer tie downs which we all know is pretty good steel. I am thinking that I would use 2 of these tie downs welded together and inserted into the PVC tube. Turning this device by hand will never work so I need some way to turn it.
Any body have any ideas.
I will listen and pay close attention.
Thanks
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Just wanted to add something.
On the way to the site we saw 4 GATORS but this is not unusual but the next creature is unusual.
We saw a 7 foot
SALT WATER CROC. He was laying on the bank sunning himself.
This concerns me because I asked myself where is the MOMMA and the PAPA and all his brothers and sisters?
I know the difference between a Gator and a Croc and this WAS without a doubt a Crocodile.
Just wanted to add a little spice to this venture but not that much. :o
Peg Leg

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Peg,
are you absolutely sure it's a saltwater croc? The only known crocs in the U.S. is the American crocodile found only in the Key Largo area. If you found one up there it might be worth more than gold. Remember, a croc has a pointed nose. Get a picture and then call National Geographic. They will pay you hansomely for the film rights.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Hi Pete,
The next time I go out I will try and to get a few photos of this Croc.
It DID have a SLENDER HEAD and a POINTED NOSE and it was darker than the other gators if that means anything. It also had a bump where the nose was.
It was NOT like any Gator I have ever seen before. I assumed that this was a Salt Water Croc. You know how the water is in this location.
Worth looking into.
Thanks
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Cornelius,
The water is so shallow that the motor kicks up mud and silt without any attachments.
I think that a deflector plate might do the trick. In fact if we can figure out a way to keep the boat in place we might not need anything.
I feel that we must secure the boat to keep the tide from shoving it all over the place.
What do you think about putting metal pipes at each corner and driving them down and then tieing off the boat?
Thanks
Peg Leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC Brad,

heres a pic of the rest of the rig,rssharpetx,its the Ocean Star.

Pegleg,florida gator an saltwater croc tastes much better then chicken 8)

Attachments

• diveboat.jpg
    diveboat.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 274

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
American crocs are known to inhabit mostly the southern tip of Florida but have been found in the areas up to Cape Canaveral. Studies as of 2005 have brought their numbers back up significantly since they were put on the endangered species list in the 1970's. They are very rare and seldom seen by people! But I don't think it would be unusual to find one in your area.

I would try to get a picture if possible, but I don't think NatGeo is going to pay a reward for finding a croc in any part of Florida!

Robert in SC

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Something else to consider.
If I were to contact NATGEO I would expect a ton of people to start coming to have a look.
Last weekend on the way to the site I passed over 10 Kayakers in LITTLE PLASTIC craft no larger than the Croc.
SURPRISE- SURPRISE-SURPRISE
Peg Leg

rssharpetx

Sep 6, 2006
fisheye,

yep.....I was having another senior moment. I worked off her a month or so ago up in NC. Those were some impressive craters!

Regards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread