Major Milestone Reached Today! My 2,000th Silver Coin Dug!!!

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been an amazing journey for the last 35 years since I started metal detecting in 1985. Thousands of some very interesting locations to hunt. From the farm fields in East Anglia England, to parks and beaches in Ireland, to the beaches in Hawaii, some states on the east coast including PA, NJ, Maryland, and Virginia. To reach my 2,000th silver coin dug I expected it to be the most common silver coin you can find, I dug a 1954-S Rosie today!
The thrill of digging silver has never changed, it's still makes my day anytime silver comes up, even a Rosie.

I remember back in 1985 when I was buying my first metal detector from a Fisher and White's dealer (Doug) in Santa Rosa California. He was showing me some of his dug seated and barber coins he had dug in the parks in San Francisco. I was amazed, I never dreamed I would dig much more than what he showed me. ...So now it's on to 3,000!

Attachments

• Finds 12-23-20 001.JPG
    Finds 12-23-20 001.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Finds 12-23-20 002.JPG
    Finds 12-23-20 002.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Finds 12-23-20 003.JPG
    Finds 12-23-20 003.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Finds 12-23-20 004.JPG
    Finds 12-23-20 004.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 52
OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you have 9 detectors. Which is the best one for finding silver? Since I moved out in the country from the city silver is non-existent. My kingdom for a Rosie! Gary

I've tried and used a lot of different detectors and I still like my Fisher CZ6 the best for finding the deep silver, it's an older analog machine that maintains its stability a little better than the newer digitals.

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Let me ask... do you still have your first one ? ? ?

I have every single silver coin I've dug stapled into a 2X2 coin holder with the date it was found and the place it was found. I never sold or gave away any of them, they are all neatly arranged by type.
My first silver coin that I dug in 1985 is still in its holder.

Taladeganite

Feb 4, 2020
Antioch, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Mine lab go find 40/60/whites classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never find squat in the SF parks! Its because of you... and that is awesome and fair! I did find my first silver there.. a silver legacy token near Lombard St. My first silver ring was found there as well! South San. 2k is a good number! Congratulations!!!

It was a lot more common in the parks back in the day. Back in the 1980's and 90's I was killing it in the San Francisco parks, I remember digging out 14 silvers in 5 hours out of Hamilton Playground in S.F.
back then it was common to go home with 7, 8, or 10 silvers on a single day. Now it's a lot harder, 1, 2, or 3 is a great day now. I've been pounding the parks in San Francisco for 30 years, I might be the reason why not much is left!

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never find squat in the SF parks! Its because of you... and that is awesome and fair! I did find my first silver there.. a silver legacy token near Lombard St. My first silver ring was found there as well! South San. 2k is a good number! Congratulations!!!

About 15 years ago I created an excel spreadsheet showing all my San Francisco locations where I dug silver, I have documented all the places where silver was found in SF from 2005 to the present. I'm moving out of California in about 8 weeks and I'll probably send a copy as a PM to anyone that wants one. Spreadsheet has over 400 SF hunting location entrees. California is the Titanic, I'm getting out before it sinks...

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent 1 week in England hunting the farm fields in East Anglia England near the town of Cromer some years back and dug a Edward the 1st hammered silver penny dating from the 1280's, It's my oldest silver coin. My oldest silver coin dug here
in the states was a 1748 Spanish Real I dug out of Golden Gate Park in San Francisco 3 years ago.
Longshanks! Very nice! It seems like people find those old Spanish silvers in just about every part of the country, just got to work for em though... I obviously haven't worked hard enough.

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Longshanks! Very nice! It seems like people find those old Spanish silvers in just about every part of the country, just got to work for em though... I obviously haven't worked hard enough.

It's excellent of you to connect Edward the 1st with Lonkshanks. My silver English penny from the 1280's is one of my favorite finds. If you saw the movie Braveheart with Mel Gibson you would have seen the evil king depicted in that movie, he was Edward the 1st, otherwise known as "Longshanks" !

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome but were is the pic of all the silver coins! :dontknow:

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome but were is the pic of all the silver coins! :dontknow:

To take out all those silver coins and create a picture would take hours :BangHead: That would be a very interesting picture...

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!
I also don't blame you for leaving California. It is truly a shame what that state has become.
Good luck to you where ever you go!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have every single silver coin I've dug stapled into a 2X2 coin holder with the date it was found and the place it was found. I never sold or gave away any of them, they are all neatly arranged by type.
My first silver coin that I dug in 1985 is still in its holder.
I do that too and keep them in a big binder....
2,000 silver coins WOW!:notworthy:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds, Congrats on your 2000th silver coin!!! "D"

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an accomplishment!! Heres to the next 1,000!!!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible accomplishment, and any hunter worth his salt would know so. It is NOT easy to find silver, and to have 2K in the bag is a SERIOUS feat. As long as you’ve enjoyed the journey, those are all just stops along the way, you should be due for some new brakes about now!
Props Mr. Fluke, it’s something most won’t do...ever.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk about Life Time Achievement awards... Mr Fluke- You certainly have put in your time over these many years, and have earned every single one of those beautiful silver coins. Congratulations on a truly remarkable accomplishmnet.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the milestone of 2000 silvers.:occasion14:

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can’t get mad at any silver! Congrats on 2000.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Congrats,

That is a lot of silver. Your dedication to the hobby has rewarded you over the years.

I feel the same way. I've dug thousands of silver coins and they never get old seeing them in a plug.

Good luck

Jer

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an incredible accomplishment, and any hunter worth his salt would know so. It is NOT easy to find silver, and to have 2K in the bag is a SERIOUS feat. As long as you’ve enjoyed the journey, those are all just stops along the way, you should be due for some new brakes about now!
Props Mr. Fluke, it’s something most won’t do...ever.

Thanks! I've had some help from some excellent locations, so it made getting to the 2,000 faster. We had an abandoned air force base here in northern California where I dug out about 200 silver coins, the median strip on Sunset Blvd in San Francisco had another 161 silvers dug out. Great places like these really help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions