Make cheap headphones run like the expensive ones

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Hi Guys N Gals

Being a newbie to detecting and to this fine web site I have much appreciated all the help the fine folks have passed on to me so I thought I would share this little trick I learned.I did not own a set of headphones, so a friend had lent me a set till I could purchase a set of my own, I had been told by every MDer that headphones are very critical and listeining to your machine was the best way to find the hidden targets.The ones I was lent were a very inexpensive pair, not to highly thought of,but beggers can't be choosers.Well to amke a long story short I damaged the plug that came on the headphones!I knew of a factory not far from my home that made plugs for the music industry and had a impeccable reputation so I paid them a visit. They explained to me the workings of a audio plug and told me that many people are duped into believing that expensive platings and the such is what makes good sound quaility and this was just a farce as it all has to do with the construction and how the signals are passed through the plug and cable. I purchased a plug they suggested and went home and installed it on the cable from the cheap headphones and I was amazed at the high quality sound that these headphones now produce, I can hear things like never before. Since that time I have really paid attention to the plugs that are on these high priced headphones and realized that they are all the same company that makes them for all the other companys, must be cheaper to buy them that way.Before you buy another expensive set of headphones you might try a plug change, it was easy and really inexpensive, I think I paid 8 dollars for everything needed and it was money well spent! Hope this helps somebody and if you need info just E-mail me and I'll point ya in the right direction.

Good hunting
Slipperyjack47

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's an interesting bit of information right there?!
I'd love to know what to do to upgrade my headphones... any info would be much appreciated!! :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
Slipperyjack47

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bran

I checked at the place where I got the plug and other material to fix mine and they don't sell single plugs to individuals as a rule.....I happen to know the owner some what and if you would like a plug and the other stuff to install it I will be happy to send to ya. It does take a soldering gun and a piece of solder. other than that its very very easy to do and I will even send you a pic and instructions if needed. shoot me an e-mail and I'll fix ya up bud! They also come with different color finish's on the housing and also different colors of shrink tube to seal it up tight against moisture and dirt, hope this helps

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
godisnum1 said:
Now that's an interesting bit of information right there?!
I'd love to know what to do to upgrade my headphones... any info would be much appreciated!! :)

Bran <><

If you can't find the plug locally, chances are you can find an old walkman, or stereo extension cable with the threaded, (not molded on) ends. Just dissect them for the female plug. If you get the one from a walkman, or most any old portable stereo, it will have the auto disconnect for the speaker and might have a resistor inline to reduce the output to the headphone connection. I've seen old functional and nonfunctional units at flea markets and yard sales fairly often. Just open one up to see how its wired together and duplicate that in your MD. Maybe even shot a picture of the wiring before you remove the plug from the unit so that you have a reference for later, (not that its rocket science).

F.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Functional said:
(not that its rocket science)

It is for me!!! lol

Slipperyjack47 said:
Bran

I checked at the place where I got the plug and other material to fix mine and they don't sell single plugs to individuals as a rule.....I happen to know the owner some what and if you would like a plug and the other stuff to install it I will be happy to send to ya. It does take a soldering gun and a piece of solder. other than that its very very easy to do and I will even send you a pic and instructions if needed. shoot me an e-mail and I'll fix ya up bud! They also come with different color finish's on the housing and also different colors of shrink tube to seal it up tight against moisture and dirt, hope this helps

That would be pretty cool! Hold on to it for me if you would, until I have some extra cash I can send your way... I actually think my brother has a soldering gun down in Florida that I might be able to use if I end up going home. :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
Slipperyjack47

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bran,

Don't worry about the cash, just send me your address and I'll get ya hooked up! just call it one MDer doin another a solid :)

Slipperyjack

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Slipperyjack...
I just sent you a PM :)

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread