Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When I read things like the ones in the articles posted below, it just makes me wonder. If someone 90 years ago found the Queen’s jewels in a dune and now they are buried in the back yard of a house in Chicago. ;D :D :D :D :D As you can see people have been searching the beaches for 115 years...maybe even more.

Treasure-seekers in Florida
The Washington Post (1877-1954) - Washington, D.C. Date: Oct 6, 1894 Start Page: 12 Pages: 1 Text Word Count: 139
"It is remarkable how many people live in Florida for no other purpose than hunting hidden treasure," said E. M. Martin. "From the stories told, it would seem that there must be millions of dollars in Spanish doubloons hidden along the Florida coast.

FOUND A PIRATE'S TROVE.
Strange Clews That Led to Buried Treasure on Florida Island.
The Washington Post (1877-1954) - Washington, D.C. Date: Apr 13, 1913 Start Page: ES4 Pages: 1 Section: EDITORIAL AND SOCIETY Text Word Count: 407
Chicago Dispatch to the Kansas City Star. The treasure cache of a pirate chief has been discovered on the Florida coast by E.C. Cole, a Chicago manufacturer. Large chunks of gold and silver plate and jewelry have been recovered. It is Mr. Cole's hope that fabulous sums will be unearthed.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one from the Ft. Myers Weekly Press (1912).

Attachments

• press.jpg
    press.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 450

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Wonder if it was ever confirmed. First they say they found it, but then says it has yet to be recovered!

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert... I tried to find a follow-up article, but never did.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're guess is as good as mine, but I'm not too keen on "pirate" treasure. I did go over to that area several times in the early 60's with a metal detector, but the overgrowth was too thick to do any serious searching.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this.

"In 1913 an E.C. Cole from Chicago found a 2 1/2 pound chunk of melted gold on a tiny coral reef four miles south of Miami."

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just four miles south of you, Chagy! Go get your Pulse 8x! :wink:

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling the following story may be related to the 2 1/2 lb. of gold. I'm pretty sure the story is true, because I once had a phone call from a relative of the man who found the silver bars. The main problem with this is it may be in the Biscayne National Park.

"A man lived on Elliot Key and boated to Miami for supplies. One time a storm came up and he beached on a very shallow reef to pick up ballast rocks to help his catboat. He docked at Biscayne and 79 St., which was known as Sea Ray boat docks. He piled the ballast on the dock, and it sat there 6 months. One day he scraped one to discover they were encrusted silver bars. He died without finding where he found them, but the area suspected was the Dry Rocks off Upper Elliot Key."

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff K said:
You're guess is as good as mine, but I'm not too keen on "pirate" treasure. I did go over to that area several times in the early 60's with a metal detector, but the overgrowth was too thick to do any serious searching.
Jeff is there a difference to the law if is pirate treasure or Spanish treasure ? has anyone ever used ground radar on the site ?
If it's a land find can you keep it.
Thanks Jeff

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground radar won't work unless the land was cleared (it's like a jungle).

The State of Florida would claim anything on public land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions