Malpais Treasure

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I've been up that long road from Pie Town past two old stage stations on up to Grants. Pioneers called it the Apache War Road.
Sam, if you go there do not pet the snakes.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Scarletdown, Diamond ring for Liz Taylor? That was a different plane wreckage. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

mtholen

Aug 17, 2012
Greenvile, SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 501
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up east of ABQ, and have hiked the mal pais, very tough country

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a side note - how long does currency last in the elements and in a container? Also is anyone on this site looking for the DB Cooper stash? A few bills have been found so more must definitely be out there !!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cooper story sounds like a good one, since its true, but since its federal money and all the serial numbers are registered, there wouldnt be much left if you found it, only the 10% reward. But there is a bigger chance that the money is rotted away.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A kid found some of the cash in a river sand bank a number of years ago. He was allowed to keep it all i believe. It was auctioned off for good money.

jww225

Sep 5, 2013
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Grants. The malpais are a vicious place with many hazards. They are full of crevices and jagged lava. East of San Rafael is a bluff that is very high made of sandstone. In fact it is called Sandstone Bluffs. Past this is a very long mesa that is very steep. To the North are more very high mesas. South or Southeast would be the only semi clear way to go if flying low over San Mateo. That is unless you were a good enough pilot to navigate between the mesas on either side of I-40 (old 66) just east of Grants. Once past these the way is open and clear for a while. I have heard rumor of treasure in the Malpais, but it is guarded and moved periodically.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread