mammal femur question

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I have two bones, I think they are femurs. (same bone, different individuals). they are large. so... horse,cow,bison,elk bear.

My question, do all femurs have a ball on the upper end? "cause these don't. I'm wondering if animals that can stand on two legs, (bears) have different femurs that the strictly four legged,?

I want to try and ID these myself, that's why I'm not posting pics yet.

Thanks!

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Ok, I've answered my own rather naive question ;D. And I have two tibias! They are just so big (to me) I thought they must be femurs. They are looking alot like bison, mainly 'cause that's the only good picture I can find to compare to, and they are very similar. could be cow? The longest one is 16"

Attachments

• bones.jpg
    bones.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 630
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Well whatever it is, and I do think bison, the smaller one has cut marks up and down one side!! I looked at it again, outside light, it's been drying for several months in the china hutch,(sorry mom and Grandma), and now there are clearly what i believe to be cut marks. Just this one side, and all up and down it. see what ya think. oh, I'm stoked, I've never found anything like this!

Attachments

• bison cut3.jpg
    bison cut3.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 482
  • bison cuts.jpg
    bison cuts.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 455
  • bison cuts1.jpg
    bison cuts1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 435

Worthy55

May 8, 2009
North , Fla.
That is cool , when you find fossil bones with what I call butcher marks that's sweet. I just found a larg bone fragment with butcher marks on it also. Love it! 8) 8) 8) :)

Attachments

• Picture 5837.jpg
    Picture 5837.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 441
  • Picture 5837.jpg
    Picture 5837.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 100_3272.jpg
    100_3272.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 437
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thank you for the pictures of the horse bone Harry. I really like the articulation pic, cool! My two bones don't look exactly like that on the distal end. Similar, two grooves, but not shaped exactly like the horse. But they are shaped like each other. That would be fun to find two bones that actually went together from the same animal. Not likely, but fun. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread