jawbones

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Me again. Here are two jawbones I found. I think the long one is an elk. Long gone from these parts, but used to be abundant. I love the patina on that one! It's also very heavy. I think it might be elk because the teeth are different than the shorter piece, which I belive to be bison. The biggest tooth in the "bison" jaw measures 3"x2", that section is also quite heavy. I really like the weathered look of it's teeth. Are my ID's correct?

Attachments

• jawbon.jpg
    jawbon.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 307
  • jawbon1.jpg
    jawbon1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 316
  • jawbon2.jpg
    jawbon2.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 313
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks worthy, I picked up the long one thinking cow, but the color was so old and pretty, finally strapped it into Buckshot's pack, cause i was tired of carrying it, almost put it down. I was pretty sure the short one was bison because of teeth I'd seen on here, and color and size. Thanks

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I'm in the fossil-starved part of Oklahoma. I don't think these are as old as that plehbah. There just haven't been elk here for over 100 years, so if that's what it is, it's neat to find one. Bears have been gone as long, and I found a bear jawbone here too. We've also found arrowheads and flint tools. Most are broken, the one we've been able to ID at it's oldest is only a couple thousand years old, SOoo.... right now, just guessing, we may be on or near a woodland campsite. It's been exciting to find the bones and flint material together like this. Still so much to learn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread