Man Catches Flesh Eating Bacteria from St. Lucie River.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Angler snags disease from river in Martin County
By Ed Killer (Contact)
Friday, October 26, 2007

Avid angler Lowell Clark hoped to catch something over the weekend. What he never expected was catching a flesh-eating and potentially deadly bacteria.

Saturday afternoon, the retired doctor of geriatrics and 30-year resident of Stuart was fishing for mullet with a cast net in the Manatee Pocket at Sandsprit Park. He never gave a second thought to the small cut on his right hand.

"By about 6 p.m., my hand started turning a little red," said Clark, 68. "I put on a little Neosporin and cortisone, but it didn't stop the pain or swelling. I figured I'd be better in the morning."

By 10 p.m., Clark noticed he was feeling flush. He had a fever of 101 degrees. By midnight, his fever hit 103, and he was shaking.

"I told my wife I have to go to the hospital," he said. "She knew if I said that, that it must be bad."

Doctors put Clark on an intravenous drip of antibiotics.

Blood cultures came back negative. However, a culture out of the wound on his hand revealed Clark had contracted Vibrio vulnificus — a sometimes fatal bacteria found in warm saltwater environments. It can be contracted by saltwater touching an open wound.

Dr. Bob Washam, environmental health director with the county Health Department, said there have been three cases in Martin County since 2005. He said the problem has more to do with the temperature of the water than pollution.

"I'm starting to feel a little better now," Clark said Thursday from his hospital room at Martin Memorial Medical Center. "This thing has eaten a hole in my hand the size of a 50-cent piece."

Clark said his doctors told him he will need six more days of treatment with antibiotics to protect him from further infection or from the bacteria getting into his bloodstream.

Having picked up this life-threatening bacteria gives him cause for concern. "It bothers me to see kids diving off the dock at Sandsprit and swimming in the St. Lucie River."VIBRIO VULNIFICUS

What is it? A bacterium in the same family as those that cause cholera. It is found in warm seawater.

How does a person get infected? It is frequently contracted by eating raw shellfish such as oysters. People with open wounds in direct contact to saltwater can also contract it. There is no evidence of person-to-person transmission.

What does it do? Among healthy people, ingestion of the bacterium can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. In people with compromised immune systems, particularly those with chronic liver disease, the bacterium can infect the bloodstream, causing a severe and life-threatening illness characterized by fever and chills, decreased blood pressure and blistering skin lesions. Bloodstream infections are fatal about 50 percent of the time. Bacterium can also cause an infection of the skin when open wounds are exposed to warm seawater. These infections can lead to skin breakdown and ulceration. Persons with compromised immune systems are at higher risk for invasion of the organism into the bloodstream and potentially fatal complications.

How common is infection? The bacteria is a rare cause of disease, but it is also underreported. Between 1988 and 1995, The Center for Disease Control and Prevention received reports of more than 300 V. vulnificus infections from the Gulf Coast states, where the majority of cases occur.

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/oct/26/angler-snags-disease-from-river/

Upvote 0

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Thats about a mile from my house. Even tho it's not far from the inlet, Manatee pocket is not well "flushed" by the tides. Scarey though. It's also not too far from "the sandbar", a shallow area used for partying and swimming on the weekends.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make that 301 cases.i got that infection back in may of this year
from the new smyrna beach area.infected foot.fever to 105 for 3 days,bad bad headaches after that.partial loss of vision.couldnt walk for a month.foot still hurts at times an got a purple type of a scar.an i have been eating raw oysters all my life,never got sick from them,i dive in nasty polluted waters never got anything there.i go to a nice clean looking beach to MD 1 night an end up with the infection from hell.dont worry about it.it can never happen to you.

Attachments

• badbadfoot.jpg
    badbadfoot.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,397
  • badbadfoot.jpg
    badbadfoot.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 690

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is nothing to play around with. I've been knowing about it for about 5-6 years or longer. It happened with my nephew who was fishing with us at the time got pricked by a "hardhead" catfish. As we all do, just continue fishing and rinsing our hands in salt water more so after catching speckled trout (they're so slimy). We did not know what all happened, but he told us he had to go to ER, where he was put on antibiotics and seeing a doctor on a regular basis. His hand was almost like that foot pictured above. He was just lucky it was caught in time.

I've seen pictures of missing fingers and toes, and I'm telling you it down right gross looking. It eats the flesh so fast that all the doctors can do it to keep cutting away the damaged flesh till there's almost nothing left.

I take precautions fishing in salt water near oyster reefs, never put your hands in the salt water, use the instant hand sanitizer stuff to wash your hands with, & if you have some type of sore on your body anywhere do not attempt to get in the water.

RR

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
when I wuz a wee lad growing up in Daytona, if you had a booboo on your leg or foot or whatever, the cure was to go in the ocean..good ol' salt water. Times change, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
billinstuart said:
when I wuz a wee lad growing up in Daytona, if you had a booboo on your leg or foot or whatever, the cure was to go in the ocean..good ol' salt water. Times change, unfortunately.
Works for me. Ocean only!

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
Another good reason I left P.S.L. I remember a few years ago the same kind of bacteria infected the mullet.They had open sores on them and alot of fishermen were getting the sores on their mouth from their castnets.I don't think I even used mine for about a year,but then it was from the freshwater runout of the St.lucie river into the Indian River and the Roosevelt bridge had a salinity level of 0%.Pretty nasty either way. PALEO

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The St. Lucie River needs to be cleaned up. Too many septic tanks. The whole county is overbuilt in my opinion with little or no environmental protections in place. Watching builders clear cut lots, bulldoze and bury endangered gopher tortoises in my parent's neighborhood turned me off of St. Lucie County.

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
You're exactly right bigcypress.The overcrowding in St.Lucie was the first reason I left there.I'm in Savannah now.(go figure).Back in the 80's and early 90's it was nice,but the building versus the engineering totally stinks.I used to fish the river almost daily,wading at that,but the last few years you couldn't get me in the river for nothing.It's sad too,because there is a ton of history along that river and artifacts probably littering the bottom.I'm not sure if you remember the plummet I posted a couple years ago I found in one of the MANY parking lots they were clearing out just north of normandy beach,but you can guarantee the area is paved over like the entire island now.Also the place I was calling WWII beach,right before I moved about 5 months ago they just started clearing out the entire section between the power plant to the north around the last bridge.(figured I throw in a few tips since I'm in the beach forum) ;D ,but too sad to see that in my hometown anymore.It's funny how we get squeezed out of our hometowns like that.Maybe that's where my compassion and passion for the Native Americans comes from. HH!!GL!! PALEO

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
While I was in Ft. Pierce diving this summer I got some kind of nasty dermal infection. I thought I had burned my legs and thigh on the hot sand then I had ulcerations that within a week looked like something you would see on a Zombie in a movie. Don't know if I got them from the water or from a little kiss from a baby gator that I tried to get an extreme close up picture of. Anyway I self treated them with antibiotic cream and they cleared up in about 10 days. May have been impetigo.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MoTwister,

You may have brushed up against some FIRE coral.im one of those lucky ones.FIRE coral and man-0-war stings dont bother me at all.never get anything from them.i can touch them or rub them on my skin an i get nothing.i guess you could say im immune to them now.when i lived in hawaii i got stung many many times by the man-0-wars.the first few stings were really bad,then as years went by the tenicles would stick to me an i would just brush them off getting no stings.i guess the FIRE coral acts sorta the same way but it doesnt bother me.its actually nice to look at and touch.i wonder if its edible.

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Fisheye, that is a real possibility. I started my trip diving on Sea Hunter and the Capt's son had what he believed to be fire coral burns on his legs. He wasn't sure where he got them at but he had been diving there in Jupiter inlet on the Archangel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread