MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER SC...Should we stay or should we go?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
While the hurricane approaches.....A different type of natural fury.
Remember this guy? He stayed.
Harry Randall Truman, 83, became somewhat of a folk hero in the weeks leading up to the eruption after he refused to vacate his home near Mount St. Helens despite being urged to leave by officials.May 17, 2015
He lived near the base of the mountain where it blew out. Still buried there somewhere probably...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The path can change in a heart beat and you could be in the middle of it. Cat 3,4 or 5 is nothing to play with.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never evacuate to avoid a hurricane, but I live 30 miles from the ocean in a town that's 440 feet above sea level. Your town is listed as 18 feet above sea level and you're a stone's throw from the ocean. The storm surge could easily submerge your home. Remember all those people stranded on the roof of their homes after Katrina? That could be you!

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=4337260549b9f18c&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kray, I faced a similar decision with irma last year.....never posted a question like you have, but after reading through this thread, I am glad I didn't. :tongue3: stay safe in what YOU decide....but decide soon.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While the hurricane approaches.....A different type of natural fury.
Remember this guy? He stayed.
Harry Randall Truman, 83, became somewhat of a folk hero in the weeks leading up to the eruption after he refused to vacate his home near Mount St. Helens despite being urged to leave by officials.May 17, 2015
He lived near the base of the mountain where it blew out. Still buried there somewhere probably...

Sure I remember Harry! He went out with style. That guy's not me though. We lived in Sandpoint, Idaho when St. Helens blew. We got only a dusting of ash there. My folks lived in Yakima, Wa. and day turned to night there with the ash. They got close to 6 inches.

I'm out of the lethal zone for this storm, at the latest. At least half of this town is still here. Two of my neighbors are leaving. I'm far more worried for those folks near the coast in NC.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the whole country knows my area is about to get its butt paddled by a giant hurricane.....

And the local gooberment say "Yall bettter git on outta here!!!!"

Well, I'd go.....duh

Unless of course, I've specifically prepared my entire existence for the impact of a hurricane......

In which case, I'd get a beer, give em the bird, sit on the picnic table, and watch the show till it was time to hide.

Same goes for forest fires and volcanoes too.

When the Earth says MOVE!!!.....I listen

ETA: I lived in a place my house would be looted.....so I moved.

Here in the great state of South Carolina, all of it is a bunch of outposts, surrounded by criminals. Now I'm not saying this about all folks living out in the beautiful countryside. But those law abiding citizens living there, know exactly what I'm saying. Anything not secured, or even stored in a locked outbuilding even, is fair game. Thieves. Turn your back on a bike, or lawn mower, or park your boat in the yard for just a few hours after returning, the bike and mower are gone, as are your motor and tank. 90 per cent of the bicycles in the previous town I lived in for 9 years were spray painted black. 2 of them were mine. Impulse thefts and planned multi-perp jobs. Thieves all. I would move from this state in a heartbeat, if not for family.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never evacuate to avoid a hurricane, but I live 30 miles from the ocean in a town that's 440 feet above sea level. Your town is listed as 18 feet above sea level and you're a stone's throw from the ocean. The storm surge could easily submerge your home. Remember all those people stranded on the roof of their homes after Katrina? That could be you!

https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=4337260549b9f18c&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather

Might need a chainsaw to get to roof. I’d be building wood racks to elevate a bunch of stuff. Maybe plywood to support stuff in ceiling rafters?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the great state of South Carolina, all of it is a bunch of outposts, surrounded by criminals. Now I'm not saying this about all folks living out in the beautiful countryside. But those law abiding citizens living there, know exactly what I'm saying. Anything not secured, or even stored in a locked outbuilding even, is fair game. Thieves. Turn your back on a bike, or lawn mower, or park your boat in the yard for just a few hours after returning, the bike and mower are gone, as are your motor and tank. 90 per cent of the bicycles in the previous town I lived in for 9 years were spray painted black. 2 of them were mine. Impulse thefts and planned multi-perp jobs. Thieves all. I would move from this state in a heartbeat, if not for family.

This is true for most anywhere....It's just in different forms....If it's not crack heads? It's meth heads! Etc....And some of your wealthy neighborhoods? Some people in there are the same. I'm not sure you could name me a place on the East coast that is any different. The only reason I say "east coast" is because That's where I've had the most experience traveling and working.

When things like this happen? Criminal type thinking will move in from states away. Not as bad as we all think but is a reality. None of your possessions are worth your life. or chancing it. Sometimes it gives you something to do later.....Track down who stole your stuff!:laughing7: That can be fun too!! Yes! I'm a sicko!!

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might need a chainsaw to get to roof. I’d be building wood racks to elevate a bunch of stuff. Maybe plywood to support stuff in ceiling rafters?

Thanks all for the good suggestions. These have been my considerations as well. The surge is my primary concern. Unless something radically changes, I don't believe that is a threat at this time. I do have a way through the roof, but it's not happening here.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is true for most anywhere....It's just in different forms....If it's not crack heads? It's meth heads! Etc....And some of your wealthy neighborhoods? Some people in there are the same. I'm not sure you could name me a place on the East coast that is any different. The only reason I say "east coast" is because That's where I've had the most experience traveling and working.

When things like this happen? Criminal type thinking will move in from states away. Not as bad as we all think but is a reality. None of your possessions are worth your life. or chancing it. Sometimes it gives you something to do later.....Track down who stole your stuff!:laughing7: That can be fun too!! Yes! I'm a sicko!!

Not risking my life at this time. Tomorrow will be the same. Thanks. Just got a text. With Alarm. Emergency! Leave your zone now! They know, with cell phones, who OBEYED, and who didn't.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you are staying by the coast you are in for an adventure, that's for sure.

Like Gandolf said in Tolkien's book - "It's a dangerous business, walking out one's front door."

Good luck. Hopefully the experience will be interesting and not too exciting. Keep us posted. Stay cool.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well you are staying by the coast you are in for an adventure, that's for sure.

Like Gandolf said in Tolkien's book - "It's a dangerous business, walking out one's front door."

Good luck. Hopefully the experience will be interesting and not too exciting. Keep us posted. Stay cool.

Thanks Duckshot. We're good. Speaking of front porch, last evening I stood on my front porch, and took a sweep of pics of my view from there, then walked around the lot and took more. Should I post them? I plan on doing the same after.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Duckshot. We're good. Speaking of front porch, last evening I stood on my front porch, and took a sweep of pics of my view from there, then walked around the lot and took more. Should I post them? I plan on doing the same after.

Heck ya!!! We all want everyone to be safe, but most of us want to see the damage....It's like slowing down to see a car wreck.! You hope every one is ok but just have to see the wreck!!!:laughing7: Sick but true! If you ride it out take pics!!! You may even be able to sell them! I know a few may get upset over this post but it's true!:laughing7:

People want to see damage!! Or the media wouldn't pound it down our throats when something happens.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kray, my mom asked me to ask you if you got anything lashed down that you might be able to float on if need be. I suppose a life jacket might do.

All I know is that water can be super powerful!!! I learned this hunting years ago...Cross a 6in deep creek...8 hours later your back at the creek to cross to go home and it's 2 1/2 feet deep!!! Doesn't look or sound like much until you go to cross and the rocks are moving out from under your feet. You have to take your boots off and dig your toes in to keep from being swept down. Water can gain power fast!!!!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ain't kidding Nitric.

When I was a kid I was up in Munising MI staying with some friends right on Lake Superior. Well a sqaull blew in from the north and the wind pushed about two extra feet of water into the bay. One of my friend's had his 17' StarCraft anchored near the beach, and the surge of water pushed the boat right off anchor and up past the beach into the grass above. It took eight guys to carry that boat back down to the water.

The most amazing part was how fast it happened. Maybe not as fast as watching the tide come flood into Puget Sound, but pretty dang fast!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not risking my life at this time. Tomorrow will be the same. Thanks. Just got a text. With Alarm. Emergency! Leave your zone now! They know, with cell phones, who OBEYED, and who didn't.

Having ignored numerous mandatory evac. orders during wildfires, I can say the one lesson I have learned is that you need to get EVERYTHING you may need because once you hit the street, they will not let you return to the evac. area. It can be several weeks before orders are lifted.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck to you sir. Be extra careful.

We are preparing for a foot of rain in Charlotte.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray, my mom asked me to ask you if you got anything lashed down that you might be able to float on if need be. I suppose a life jacket might do.

Sure, we have life jackets, boogie boards. We're not going to need them, though. Forecast looks much better for everyone this morning. This storm is weakening. The wind will be off shore for us now, so surge isn't an issue, even the wind is looking better. Two evenings ago took pics off the front porch. My porch faces due north, so series is left to right (west to east). IMG_3568.JPG IMG_3571.JPG IMG_3572.JPG IMG_3573.JPG IMG_3574.JPG

Then from across the street IMG_3587.JPG IMG_3577.JPG IMG_3575.JPG

A walk around IMG_3578.JPG IMG_3579.JPG IMG_3580.JPG IMG_3581.JPG IMG_3582.JPG IMG_3583.JPG

A view down the street IMG_3586.JPG

Thanks for looking

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kray, there has been a lot of good advice given here. First and foremost like already said, Prayers for you and your family and to all who live along the coastline in the path of Florence. It is sometimes easier to say what you would or wouldn't do in a case such as this. The things that I would heavily consider is the fact that this storm is an act of mother nature and like fire fire, it has no mind in which to think, and no conscious. This monster storm just reacts to the environment around it and in its path. No one can second guess what Florence will do or what it won't do, where it will track once it makes land fall, or how long it may stall out in certain areas causing severe flooding or damage. With all the technology we have today, it is still uncertain just where this storm may track. Projections are great, but not a certainty. Take all into account. Don't get caught in the last minute wanting to leave but not being able to. With the mass evacuations there will be little gas left along the evacuation routes. Play it safe. Like already said, you are well thought of here and we enjoy reading your posts. God's Speed to you and your family and to the countless others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread