Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote from: River Rat on Today at 06:30:05 AM
I've had this bookmarked since Feb 07, I followed along with the suggestions here and used the "Sanborn" "Welcome" and it worked. But what seemed strange I went back to this thread, clicked on the actual website and went straight to it with no problem. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,71167.0.html (go to the reply to RR by BackerPacker)

So, I guess it works either way, regardless it a good old map system.

Wink RR

I think that happened because of cookies. Same thing happened to me. When I cleared my "cookies" I had to log back in again.

It could be a possibility of cookies, but I just went and double checked the old way and I viewed the maps of Shreveport (Caddo Par.) Aug 1885 and Independence (Tangipahoa Par.) Jan 1929.

John, use the new passwords...you should be able to access the maps. Good luck, post if you have any problems.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
G

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the lead on the Sanborn Maps. But, I needed an older Topo map of the countryside. Wanted to see where some older houses/buildings may have been located. I have an older spot to hunt in Ouachita Parish,its a very large area. Once houses and church were there, around the turn of the century but its all gone now. Was hoping an older topo map may show,about, where some of the buildings stood.
Thanks
John

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Gator, I should have told you on the other post. The Sanborn maps are some of the best of the older maps. They will show every structure including privies. You may can find some at the locale library or courthouse. I will see what I can find on my end. Good luck. Oh, by the way, That River Rat is a wealth of knowledge. She can be a valuable asset. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heya GrayCloud, thanks for the help. And thanks RiverRat, I really appreciate any help, my wife says I need professional help,dunno what she means by that tho.
I have looked at the Sanburn maps but this place is out in the parish away from the city so the city maps dont cover it unless they have other maps Im unaware of.
But!!! lol, I managed to get with the overseer of this old plantation/farm since I reqested map help. He drove me around and showed me where the old houses were located.
You guys rock!!!! Thanks again RiverRat and GrayCloud.
John

Juanmoretime

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2008
Shreveport, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Miinelab CTX-3030, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Explorer II, Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator,

Did you ever have any luck searching this place?

Steve ;D

OP
OP
G

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heya Juanmoretime,
Kinda, sortof,lol. Ive done some leg work,time is my enemy. Ive found some evidence of older house sites but!!! The fields are planted in wheat right now and in May as soon as the wheat is harvested they will burn the fields off and plant soybeans the next day. So, I have to wait until Fall to get in the fields to hunt. Ive be shown where some older houses were but from the wheaties Ive found, I dont think they are that old. I am pretty optimistic there are older home sites on this place because this place has been in the peoples family since before the civil war. There just isnt anyone around that knows anything about where buildings etc were located in the 1800s and there is nothing on paper. The owner is very nice and accomodating, has a lot of history of the place, just nothing to hint at the older house sites. There is even part of an old road bed still in existence they claim the stage coaches used. Tensas,Graycloud and I was able to ride down it one day.
Thanks for asking,Happy Hunting!!!
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread