crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this little rascal last week. My first marble find. Any ideas on the age and type?

Picture1175.jpg

048.jpg

047.jpg

046.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I dug one much like it..

I'd say Akro Agate for sure. The one I dug was prior to WW1. But you never know with Akros. Add to that everyone and his brother was trying to copy Akro marbles waay back when. It's driving me nuts I hav'nt dug a marble during the last two weeks. Have been working a new site in Boroslavy Canyon just outside my desert ghost town dating circa 1910. Marbles were scarce back then here on the west coast. Hit a buried pocket of old bottles this morning. One being with raised embossed lettering 'FURST McNESS Co' circa 1910. Now back to listening to my CD of Josephine Baker singing Bye Bye Blackbird. Life is good.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
a better view i will be able to tell ya what ya got...that dont look like any akro ive seen but it could be a scarce type....looks more like alley to me......but i cant rule out cairo or heaton....marble i d ing is done by eliminating companies....each company had a specific trait like patterns...cutlines....colors....styles.......base color..... and construction techniques.......for example...alley white base glass is a ivory color while ravenswoods white base is a creamy color....master glass cutlines are u or v shaped while vitro cutoffs are more straight ......marble king uses a patch and ribbon comstruction technique vaneered on a white base while vitros vaneering goes on a clear marble prior to 1970.......all something marble collectors use to id marbles.......sometimes confusing but always fun!!!!!1

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
vitro..vienna wv before the move to parkersburgh in the 50s....those on the clear base were made in vienna....after the move the vaneering process was invented and their mibs were opaque....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread