36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was hunting volume, I marked for a period of time, started with sharpy on both sides of about 10-50 coins a box. Then progressed to blasting half a bag with neon yellow paint. Both times I didn't care what the dates were.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Im seeing that the people who are marking coins around here use their mark on the same date always. One guy puts a thick marker line across kennedy's whole face on 1971's. Another does a thin black marker across the bottom of kennedy's neck on 2001's. There is some more but these two are the most prolific. But, I do find the same mark always on the same date for all of them.
Maybe I will start my own to see if any of them come back since I am doing more volume now ( 2-4 boxes a week )

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be the same person, but using a slightly different mark to differentiate the date he marked them?

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Could it be the same person, but using a slightly different mark to differentiate the date he marked them?

It is not only a different mark but a different marking pen. The 1971 I have seen since I started crh about a year ago. The 2001 I have only found the last few months. I did not think that it was the same person.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been marking mine. I was pulling from two suppliers, one strictly pickup and one pickup/dump. Started getting my own marked dumps back from the pickup/dump and have stopped getting boxes from them. The finds were not very good from that supplier for a while anyway (1 40% from four boxes, etc.)

I mark edges. It is funny for me to find the marked obverse/reverse, how much time someone spent doing that.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would mark coin?? And why??

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would mark coin?? And why??

There's a difference between running a sharpie down the side of a box here and there, and burning/spraypainting things. For starters, Sharpie doesn't clog or damage the machine if it rubs off, so I haven't been asked not to.

philinchio

Dec 24, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster Pro
I only mark previously marked or severely damaged coins. That way I'm not ruining perfectly good clad for others. I'll put a little "XD" face on the reverse in the space next to the eagle or Independence Hall. Easy to spot and sort of original. XD

Curious thought. Has anyone found a marked coin, roll, or box with a message on it? Like a rude or gloating statement from one CRHer to his/her competition? I would think that has happened often. Interested to hear of any experiences.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curious thought. Has anyone found a marked coin, roll, or box with a message on it? Like a rude or gloating statement from one CRHer to his/her competition? I would think that has happened often. Interested to hear of any experiences.

That happens on this site every day

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only mark previously marked or severely damaged coins. That way I'm not ruining perfectly good clad for others. I'll put a little "XD" face on the reverse in the space next to the eagle or Independence Hall. Easy to spot and sort of original. XD

I think i remember someone on here got a half with something written on it about them i cant remember who though. I found a half last year that said I love T- net on it in white out or nail polish. I also have found halves that say "no silver" or "skunk box"

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say mark them all then light them on fire. Now that would be cool!!

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other

I've gotten 4 or 5 different messages, 1 or 2 directed at me! Not very nice either lol.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banned by banks, people wrote nasty things about you on coins, it's been a busy year!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what they say! ( Deal with it!!) When I was doing 60 boxes a week I tried to spray paint 1/3 of my dumps. It helped me track my dumps.

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something seems to be missing from this thread.

Maybe . . .

1) Someone's opinion that marking is nothing more/nothing less than a waste of time
2) Pictures of painted halves
3) The argument that marking is defacing us currency
4) How marking of coins affects the collector value

Anyone care to fill in the gaps . . . ? ? ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread