enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I occasionally get rolls of penny's, nickels and dimes to search, mostly for my son to fill his coin books. I don't find marked coins with them. So, is it mostly halves that people mark?

Yes, they're talking about halves. HUGE waste of time on anything else. Wrappers are usually marked on the smaller coins.
Edit:
I should have said it was a waste of time to mark ANY coins, but we all know how that turns out, plus how I feel about things.

Last edited:

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are doing 30 to 100 boxes a week and you don't mark some halfs You don't no if your getting the same coins back ! If your doing a few boxes who cares. When silver goes back up I will crh 50 plus boxes a week, Right now am buying all I can buy! So for now all you clad lovers can sleep tight for now. Am doing 1 or2 boxes and finding marked coins from ac you know who you are, Nice!!!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reality now would be the time to search. People stop searching and more silver to be found. I found more silver when the price was low and no one was bothering to search.

StoneFree

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mark the same year coin to keep track of how long it takes to get my dumped coins back into my rotation. There is another CRH around here who uses the opposite banks I do and they like to dump my coins back into my Loomis banks. I have found that sometimes I get back some of the same coins within 3 weeks! I have verified my dump bank uses Brinks so somebody is getting brinks boxes and then dumping them back into Loomis and then I get them in 3-4 weeks. I mark edges also in a different pattern every month to further help me keep track. I never mark coins that are in great condition if I think somebody might want or need it for a set.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking is a waste of time and could be more informative to your competition than it is to you. If you mark, you risk displacing a competitor hunter from a downstream position into an upstream position. It is better to keep your competition searching your dumps than to alert him that there is a volume hunter ahead of him (which could very well cause him to change supply - to your supply).

If your supply is producing, don't change it (other than increase your volume). If it isn't producing, then experiment with other sourcing options. Regardless of how your supply is producing, spread your dumps as much as possible. CRH dumps is what flushes Ag out of hiding and into the pipe.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you mark lots of coins the poor guy doing a few boxes thinks he is a small fish in the game. I say mark 90% of your dumps and by the way for the new guys just lay your dumps out on cardboard and spray them all the colors of the rain bow. And happy hunting. And to you clad lovers get a life!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but the bully mentality is not going to scare the little guy out of the game, just reposition him.
It's the selfish strip mining thugs out there that need to get a life.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I mark the same year coin to keep track of how long it takes to get my dumped coins back into my rotation. There is another CRH around here who uses the opposite banks I do and they like to dump my coins back into my Loomis banks. I have found that sometimes I get back some of the same coins within 3 weeks! I have verified my dump bank uses Brinks so somebody is getting brinks boxes and then dumping them back into Loomis and then I get them in 3-4 weeks. I mark edges also in a different pattern every month to further help me keep track. I never mark coins that are in great condition if I think somebody might want or need it for a set.

Or all the carriers share the same facility like down here in San Diego

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread