Marking your finds

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I am considering this. Right now all but maybe 10 of my finds are residing in small boxes on my headboard. I was thinking I should label them before I no longer remember where each one came from. As of this moment I can tell you not only where but when each was found. Should I do the unthinkable and write on my artifacts?
If so what do I use? A fine point Sharpie seems logical.

Upvote 0

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
a fine point sharpie is all i use, on darker points i put white out first then use the sharpie then cover with clear nail polish

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
No need, GL. Diffrent frames or boxes suffice, and whoever ends up with them100 years from now won't be wishing somebody hadn't put markings on them he can't get off.

Anything I mark I do with an ultra-fine pointed marking pen (0.01 mm) on a sticky label, written tiny and trimmed close.

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
the problem i find with the sticky labels is over time they dry out and fall off,i have seen alot of slate and points that have the remnents of the glue from labels and no label,fine point marker wont hurt your points just write on the side that wont be displayed

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're concerned about semi-permanence, clear packaging tape over the label and a little beyond it will keep it there longer than you're going to be around.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GL
I agree there is noyhing worse than seeing an ancient artifact written all over. I started at one time marking mine.The last one I marked was in 93. I figure since I found them all I would always remember which site. Not true as I cant keep up with a years finds anymore......

I think maybe as I photograph them and put them on the computer I can catalog a digital diary.
Maybe I will get to it maybe not ,, :icon_scratch:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
I think maybe as I photograph them and put them on the computer I can catalog a digital diary.
Maybe I will get to it maybe not ,, :icon_scratch:

That's how I organize all my detecting finds. :) It has been a lifesaver when I find another piece of something on a return trip to the same site.

Regards,

Buckles

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well as long as we post everything on t-net we will have the story to go with it as long as t-net is around. It has really made me photograph many of my artifacts that I normally would not.

GL let is know what you choose ok?

Regards
TnMtns

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
There is nothing wrong with county and state on a piece, in fact I'd encourage it. In almost any case with four neat, small letters you can give a wealth of information. I don't think people should write the type, or the length, color, flint type, use, weight, or other obvious information on the piece.

I know a couple of collectors who write GPS codes which is cool, but labor intensive (both to write out and to find out quickly where the piece is from.)

Labels work, but they will eventually become separated from the piece and cover up more surface area than needed.

Unless you are a famous collector (or plan to be) I wouldn't bother trying to come up with an intricate code because 100 years from now your catalog and artifact may not be together, eg. while DR9219-001 seems logical to me as the first piece I found on Dave Rowe's farm in Whitley County, Indiana (DR- Dave Rowe, Whitley County is 92 on license plates, Indiana was 19th state) it probably won't convey that message to anyone else...

HighPlains

Aug 29, 2009
At Wal-Mart, in the sporting goods section, you'll find a large variety of clear, sectioned clear plastic boxes with a nice snap-on hinged lid. I think these are actually designed for fishing lures, etc. They usually have additional plastic dividers which can be used to make even smaller spaces. A buck or two is a small investment for each outing. Date, location, circumstances, etc., can be written on each box. More importantly, they can be stacked under the bed, in back of closets, etc. I keep about two or three of several different sizes on hand. This one change has made my house much more organized, especially this time of the year when I usually take to the dirt. I also document in a central book with the above information, and simply but the reference number on a discrete area of each piece, e.g., 1.021.

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
Until I put them in a frame i keep them in a snack bag with a small piece of 3 by 5 card with the date found and the code I use for the field. When I put them in a frame I put one 3 by 5 card on the back of the frame with the date/field found for all of the points in the frame.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread