Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here again...... while walking with Charlie, this giant............. spear tip?......... possible Morrow Mountain blank?........ whatever get's uncovered by the tide. I have a few nice and large Morrow Mountains maid of this exact material and found at the same place. I also have smaller exact duplicates of this big heavy item. Thoughts? Molly....... you may want to jump in here, as you know this area well.

The next item really feels like a usable and crafted scraper of some kind. It is flaked on the edge and is has been deliberately scrapped down to a perfect thickness for use with Fish and/or game. Who knows?

Not much more to report from tonights walk. The last pic is more of an excuse to get Charlie into the pics hahaha. While the item has a blade/tool feel and serrated edge, in all probability its a geofact or large flake.

Attachments

• Aug 27 1.jpg
    Aug 27 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 457
  • Aug 27 2.jpg
    Aug 27 2.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 453
  • Aug 27 tool2.jpg
    Aug 27 tool2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 448
  • Aug 27 tool1.jpg
    Aug 27 tool1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 451
  • Aug 27 3.jpg
    Aug 27 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 441
  • Aug 27 scraper edge.jpg
    Aug 27 scraper edge.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 455
  • Aug 27 scraper face.jpg
    Aug 27 scraper face.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 459
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hmmmmm....... what do you guys think? Photos Included

I just realized that photo number 5 should have been the third one posted. sorry.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Could be a Morrow Mountain blank. The one tool looks like what they would knock of a round flint core or spall and often fashioned then into scrapers and knifes cause they were sharp. The things I find out of the rivers will still cut you they are so sharp.
Looks like you and Charlie had a good time. Wont be long and the river hunting will be difficult with all the leafs coming down. Did you ever go up to that creek that joins that water?
TnMtns :icon_sunny:

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnMountains said:
Could be a Morrow Mountain blank. The one tool looks like what they would knock of a round flint core or spall and often fashioned then into scrapers and knifes cause they were sharp. The things I find out of the rivers will still cut you they are so sharp.
Looks like you and Charlie had a good time. Wont be long and the river hunting will be difficult with all the leafs coming down. Did you ever go up to that creek that joins that water?
Man im not trying to be rude, but i think that is just a rock..

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnMountains said:

Thanks brother. No.... I am buried in work until after September. Our quarterly firearms/Tactical training is coming up and I am the guy responsible for making that happen. Its lots of fun for the participants but a whole lot of detail goes into it and that is what I am working on. The leaves will make it hard for the actual village site on the shore, but the river's edge is always great..... until she starts to freeze. Then the hunts stop. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ink-a-alot said:
TnMountains said:
Man im not trying to be rude, but i think that is just a rock..

No worries brother. If not for the repeating pattern/material at this site, I would have skipped it across the river as well :wink: The thing is... I have found more than a few sharper, more worked points right there that were just smaller. Its hard to tell from the pictures but I think if you held it and if you saw some of my other finds you might at least not throw it back hahah. Thanks for the opinion.

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri

I really like that curved one - oh, and Charlie is just adorable! Glad to see you are getting a few breaks to get out and hunt. Don't work too hard.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bluesy said:
I really like that curved one - oh, and Charlie is just adorable! Glad to see you are getting a few breaks to get out and hunt. Don't work too hard.

Thanks Bluesy :wink: Char and I are headed out right this second. Wish us luck and stay safe.

crow12c

Aug 8, 2009

looks to me to be a peice of granit,?????? it aint got a flint look to it, Id say just a rock. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

allen said:
if you are findind several of the same size and shape,
they have to be something someone once used for
something !
i think its a really cool find !

Yea.... that is why I dont discard them so fast. Certain shapes keep repeating themselves in a fairly small area. Its an area that is a known Fishing village site that spans back into prehistoric times so...... yea.... I agree. I may never know exactly what they were but they were something. Manyof them may just have been practice points and/or tools. Believe me, I dont post most of what I find but I do find many items taht were wroked and shaped into something. Part of the fun is not knowing and trying to solve the mystery. Thanks for posting.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

rocks this time but please keep posting, you have made some very nice finds also, and I love charlie and the fact that he gets to go with you
all the time, you are a good master to him,
I wish all dog owners would take such good care of their pets, you set a wonderful example

about 20 years ago someone with a lot of knowledge and experience told me:

"If you have to wonder whether or not it is an artifact, it usually is not"
"If it is an artifact, most of the time you will not have to wonder"

"but then there are always the people that take a piece home and 'romance it' until they have convinced themselves it really is.

these words have always been a good help to me

good luck on your next hunt my friend,
larson1951

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

larson1951 said:
rocks this time but please keep posting, you have made some very nice finds also, and I love charlie and the fact that he gets to go with you
all the time, you are a good master to him,
I wish all dog owners would take such good care of their pets, you set a wonderful example

about 20 years ago someone with a lot of knowledge and experience told me:

"If you have to wonder whether or not it is an artifact, it usually is not"
"If it is an artifact, most of the time you will not have to wonder"

"but then there are always the people that take a piece home and 'romance it' until they have convinced themselves it really is.

these words have always been a good help to me

good luck on your next hunt my friend,
larson1951

Larson... thanks for the kind words about Charlie. The only correction is that...... its pretty clear now that he is MY Master hahah. I do love him and he goes anywhere I go. In fact... as usual, his head is on my foot as i type this haha.

Your advise is good and I will teach myself to take it. I still get a chill when I think of prehistoric man holding a rock that I am holding and thus... end up taking it home. The truth is... any rock anywhere could have been held by some prehistoric man hahaha. Its a bad habit and I have a few of them. Tanks again brother and know that I do hear you loud and clear. Stay safe.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the very same spot today and sure enough..... here is another great example of what I find that is so questionable. This first item is of the same granite type material, is way to rough to be a classic point type, but has clearly been modified as evidenced by the base. I find so many like this and while most understandably class them as geofacts.... I just can't bring myself to accept that nature keeps producing the same rock in the same place hahah. I don't mean to beat a dead horse at all but wanted to share the frequency of these strange finds with you folks. The second item seems to be a small triangle and based on the history of the site, I am lead to believe it was a fishing point. The only clear marks on it are on the right side and they may not show in the photo.

Attachments

• Aug 30 rough1.jpg
    Aug 30 rough1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Aug 30 rough2.jpg
    Aug 30 rough2.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Aug 30 rough3.jpg
    Aug 30 rough3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Aug 30 tri1.jpg
    Aug 30 tri1.jpg