Martha Raye.. ..Maybe something you didnt know

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Martha Raye.. ..Maybe something you didn't know

I was reading something down on another thread and because of a phone call at the wrong time I forgot to change to this thread. So I'm posting it here too.

I received an e-mail about Martha Raye, and for those of you who are familiar with her you will might be interested in
knowing this. It is an interesting tidbit from the recent past. I don't know who wrote this but it goes as follows....

The following is from an Army Aviator friend who takes another trip down memory lane:

It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west of Pleiku. We had
run out of body bags by noon, so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back. All of a sudden, we heard
a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear.

There was the singer and actress, Martha Raye, with a SF (Special Forces) beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued
markings, helping the wounded into Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard. 'Maggie' had been visiting her SF
'heroes' out 'west!'

We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF Hospital pad at Pleiku. As we all started unloading our sad pax's
a 'Smart-a--' USAF Captain said to Martha, "Ms. Raye, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would not be
time for your show!"

To all of our surprise, she pulled on her right collar and said, "Captain, see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US
Army Reserve, and on this is a 'Caduse' which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical speciality..Now take me to your
wounded!" He said, "yes Mam' Follow me."

Several times at the Army Field Hospital in Pleiku, she would 'cover' a surgical shift, giving a nurse a well-deserved
break.

Martha is the only woman buried in the SF (Special Forces) cemetery at Ft. Bragg.

Hand Salute!

Martha Raye, Civilian Warrior

If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

F

Felinepeachy

Re: Martha Raye.. ..Maybe something you didn't know

WOW that's very interesting. Thanks for sharing. There's a lot of heroes out there that never got any recognition for it, that's why I treat every vet I meet with the utmost respect. :cat:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hadn't heard that name in quite some time. Being I am in SF, I knew the name when you mentioned her. Everyone in the SF community knows of her.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I absolutely love Martha! She entertained us aboard ship in the Tonkin Gulf, Vietnam. You NEVER forget those that showed support for our troops, especially in Nam. Salute AND a tear.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for that tidbit. I knew that she was doing something with the armed forces, but I was never sure in what capacity.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used

Felinepeachy, You are right about the unsung heroes. And the vets definitely deserve our respect and support.

Harley Man, She willingly gave a lot of her time and never tried to make it known to the world or get any
special recognition for it.

Packerbacker, She went 'above and beyond' to show her support. She was a wonderful person and most of the people
have no idea how much she gave of herself.

Spartacus, I'm glad you all got a chance to see this. I never knew either about all this.

Thank you all for your interesting comments.

Ray

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool

Now wasnt Martha Raye the spokeswoman for Polident back in the 70's? She was the girl with the "big mouth", right? Its cool that she was dedicated to the troops & gave so much time to them. Great story Karenray! :icon_thumleft:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is not unique to the world war II generation. Just look at all those movie stars who volunteered to join the armed forces, even in combat rolls. Guys like Jimmy Stewart (bomber pilot), Clark Gable (B17 top turret gunner), Glenn Ford, Eddie Albert, and many many others. The generation in Hollywood today are a bunch of lefties. Can you imagine someone like Brad Pitt volunteering to go to Iraq? Never in a million years!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Sonoma County Mike said:
This is not unique to the world war II generation. Just look at all those movie stars who volunteered to join the armed forces, even in combat rolls. Guys like Jimmy Stewart (bomber pilot), Clark Gable (B17 top turret gunner), Glenn Ford, Eddie Albert, and many many others. The generation in Hollywood today are a bunch of lefties. Can you imagine someone like Brad Pitt volunteering to go to Iraq? Never in a million years!
Audie Murphy , Lee Marvin , Bob(Captain Kangaroo)Keeshan , Neville Brand , David Niven ...... the
list goes on and on .
Busts my chops when one of today's screen heros plays such a kickbutt hero on screen and then makes such an azz out of himself in the media speaking against everything that made him rich and famous in the movies .

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

truckinbutch said:
Sonoma County Mike said:
Audie Murphy , Lee Marvin , Bob(Captain Kangaroo)Keeshan , Neville Brand , David Niven ...... the
list goes on and on .
Busts my chops when one of today's screen heros plays such a kickbutt hero on screen and then makes such an azz out of himself in the media speaking against everything that made him rich and famous in the movies .
Not quite war zone but, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, :headbang:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We were also entertained by Ray Charles, Robert Stack ("Untouchables" tv series), Arthur Godfrey (Host of the "Original Amateur Hour), Donna Douglas (Elly May of the "Beverly Hillbillies" tv series) and Miss America and her Pageant. Thank you all! :hello2:

B

BigDan

Great story, thanks for posting it.

And thanks to all who served.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used

Bob Hope was another big one that went year after year. Thank you everyone that contributed to the post.

Happy hunting

Ray

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    41 KB · Views: 280
  • image.gif
    image.gif
    41 KB · Views: 275

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kinda funny, some of our well-to-do entertainers will go out of their way to entertain the troops and yet, when some of the troops came home, they were spit on. I was personally refused a beer at a bar I believe was named The Emerald Stone, either on or near 42nd Street in New York City on New Year's Eve, 1966/67. My friends and I were in uniform and hadn't had a drink yet but the bartender asked "Are those Vietnam ribbons you're sporting?" I thought "sporting" was a strange choice of words but I answered, "Yes Sir". He then said he wasn't going to serve us due to the fact we had served in Nam. Before we left, there were 11 police cars outside, those old 1961 Plymouth Furys with the bullet tail lights and gumball light on top; I counted them. Cop showed us the "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" sign hanging on their wall and said they couldn't help us, we had to leave. I hate that sign every time I see it.

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used

Packerbacker that was pretty dirty of them to do that. Too bad the cops had to back up that sign. I Hate that when someone
runs down any of the military. Although I can't claim the honor of serving inthe service, several of my family served in
WWII, Korea, and nam. on my father's side. On my mother's side, Her father inlisted in the Civil War in Port Huron, Michigan.
I had a good friend that was killed when his plane was shot down.

God bless all the military, both those retired and those still serving.
And God bless the USA,

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    41 KB · Views: 268
  • image.gif
    image.gif
    41 KB · Views: 270

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

trikikiwi said:
truckinbutch said:
Sonoma County Mike said:
list goes on and on .

Elvis Presley served his time in Cold War Germany and left the service as a Sergeant. It's estimated that he lost several million dollars in income while serving his country. Jimi Hendrix was a combat veteran of the Vietnam war and served in the 101st Airborne Division - rank unknown by me. Kris Kristopherson was a Green Beret Vietnam veteran and former instructor at West Point. I believe i heard that he left the service with the rank of Major. None of them made a big deal about their service and most of what i reported came from people writing about them not them writing about themselves. siegfried schlagrule

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Please , don't jump me for making a racist comment ; this is just the way it was :
When I was a poor little white kid living in a log house with no running water , heated by coal stoves ;
the upcoming boxer ,Cassius Clay, was not only my hero but the hero of our entire community .
My bedroom walls were plastered with posters and news articles of him ..........
The day he refused military service and was stripped of his title I stripped my walls bare and put all of that in one of the stoves .

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
trikikiwi said:
truckinbutch said:
Sonoma County Mike said:
list goes on and on .

Elvis Presley served his time in Cold War Germany and left the service as a Sergeant. It's estimated that he lost several million dollars in income while serving his country. Jimi Hendrix was a combat veteran of the Vietnam war and served in the 101st Airborne Division - rank unknown by me. Kris Kristopherson was a Green Beret Vietnam veteran and former instructor at West Point. I believe i heard that he left the service with the rank of Major. None of them made a big deal about their service and most of what i reported came from people writing about them not them writing about themselves. siegfried schlagrule
Siegfried mate. Jimi never served in Vietnam. Although his music was played there.
Mike

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Kris Kristopherson was a Green Beret Vietnam veteran and former instructor at West Point. I believe i heard that he left the service with the rank of Major. None of them made a big deal about their service and most of what i reported came from people writing about them not them writing about themselves. siegfried schlagrule

I watched a documentry on CMT a few years back when Johnny Cash had died and several country music stars gave their input on Johnny Cash. I believe Kris Kristopherson had said he was a helicopter pilot around mid 60's and during the time of his service flew his helicopter and landed on Johnny Cash's property to persuade him to listen to his music as the record companies were not giving him a chance to listen to him or his music and that was how he made it into country music.

I am pretty sure that is what he said.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Harleyman ,
That's what he said and that's what he did .
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread