Martin Van Buren Token

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hello all,

I wasn't even gonna post this but when I saw the Grant and Harrison tokens recently found I thought I would add this one to the Presidential race. :laughing7:

Found this last night in a farmer's field at about 5 inches....I believe it is from 1840-ish and I did find one example that sold last year online for $336.....The obverse says "Martin Van Buren & Democracy" and the reverse says "A uniform and sound currency/the sub treasury." Additional research tells me that these were purchased for 15 cents each back in the day.

Van Buren was born in Kinderhook, NY, about an hour from here and is buried there as well.....I'm a coin guy but gotta say this is pretty neat!

Congrats to the other token finders and HH all!

Greg

Attachments

• Van Buren Obv.png
    Van Buren Obv.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Van Buren Rev.png
    Van Buren Rev.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 23
Very nice condition.

I think it would fall into the Medallion cat., not token.

Nice save !!
1840 Martin Van Buren Campaign Medal in White Metal. Listed as Sullivan-Dewitt MVB 1840-2, measuring 38mm across. The reverse depicts the Temple of Liberty, a flying eagle and the words: "A Uniform & Solid Currency." The dies for this medal were made by J.F. Thomas of Newark.
Heritage recently sold one in extremely fine condition for $191.20.
Don.....

Nice save !!
1840 Martin Van Buren Campaign Medal in White Metal. Listed as Sullivan-Dewitt MVB 1840-2, measuring 38mm across. The reverse depicts the Temple of Liberty, a flying eagle and the words: "A Uniform & Solid Currency." The dies for this medal were made by J.F. Thomas of Newark.
Heritage recently sold one in extremely fine condition for $191.20.
Don.....

Appreciate that Don!....thank you!

I was thinking not only really neat but very cool as well and then just plain ole awesome

Man that one is in much nicer shape than the one I dug a couple years ago.

THAT DOSE IT. IM GOING BACK TO PICKING UP ALUMINUM CANS. MAN WHAT A FIND >

Very cool token- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Heck, why not post a 177 year old honkin' presidential medal, coin, token?!? Valued at over $100.00 bucks?!? I'd be dancin' over that find. If you're not satisfied with it I'll gladly take it off your hands and even pay for shipping.;D

Presidential History ALWAYS deserves a post.

Sweet---no matter what you wanna call it---:occasion14:

Super history, and great condition find. That's a winner!

Good golly, Greg......great find and in great shape,too!!!

Now that's a big sized token for sure, from being made from white medal I'd say its in really nice shape coming out of a field. Congrats!

Very nice find. The Presidential tokens/medallions are a great piece of history, and are fun to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back