Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.....managed to get out today despite the heavy overnight rain, hit our usuwall area in Yorkshire and got on a new field that was half in stubble and half drilled going was pretty tough with the mud sticking to everything. First hammered of 2009 and one I have never had from this reign :icon_queen:Mary Groat 1553-54 as you can see she was only on the throne 1 year before she was married to Philip of Spain there joint reign lasted till 1558. This a very scarce coin and you don't see them that often this infact is the first I have seen, it books at £125-£400 :-* any way I'm off and running for 2009 :thumbsup:

Attachments

• m g 001.JPG
    m g 001.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,990
  • m g 005.JPG
    m g 005.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,972
Upvote 3

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yarrum said:
Awesome find, just to find something of that age and with that history must be an amazing feeling.
Congrats.
Yarram thanks.....I have said this before we are lucky in the UK with the wealth of history we have over here, this coin has to rate in my top three of detecting. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
WOW! That's a coin you never see! :o
Hi Buckles..I have only ever seen one more juring the nine years I have been detecting for :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deno said:
What a way to start off the new year. The coin is beautiful. Congratulations. I don't know if I would ever sleep
if I lived in your neck of the woods, I would be hunting 24/7.
Deno....I know what you meen it's Sunday and I'm stuck at home and all I can think about is....well you guess :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rjw4law said:
I have always dreamed of hunting in UK......sigh
Hi....don't just dream get yourself over here :thumbsup:

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
very nice. you would thick it would be worth more.how do you folks know how many of those hammered coins were in circulation. roman ones i think would be hard to know . the coins put in circulation by the monarchy ,was there a complete record kept ? i am always in awe with the finds of crusader and his father.hh goldie

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldie1959 said:
very nice. you would thick it would be worth more.how do you folks know how many of those hammered coins were in circulation. roman ones i think would be hard to know . the coins put in circulation by the monarchy ,was there a complete record kept ? i am always in awe with the finds of crusader and his father.hh goldie
Hi goldie....you raise a good point it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, I don't suppose they weren't that many, she did have two Groats minted with just her portrait, the second issue with several legend variations, but they do command high prices due to the fact that it was a short ruling and not many coins were minted from this period, very high prices can be attained from coins of Mary or Philip&Mary :thumbsup:

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
GREAT find SS!! :D :o ...and a HUGE Congrats on making Banner....great start for '09!

Keep up the great work!

~Hank 8)

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C O N G R A D U L A T I O N S

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yorkshire seems to be the place to metal detect these days! Perhaps the rain has given the ground more clarity. Kudos for going out in the inclement weather, you are a dedicated treasure hunter and this is an awesome find.

Born Free

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Awesome coin! Guess it's too much to hope that I could dig one around Chicago sometime.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say your off to a excellent start ,wish I lived over there ! Awesome find !

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Congratulations! We're all in awe of the stuff you lot unearth, but it's extra-fun when someone finds one that's extremely rare in *your* world.

That does it. I'm going looking for the 1823/2 quarter, 1888/7 cent, and an 1876-CC 20-cent piece this year, gonna find 'em all.

Just as soon as all this snow's gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions