Mason Jar info

Mailman785

Feb 25, 2016
"rural" Wabaunsee County Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Mason Jar I can find no info on... I do not have the "red Book" Mason Jar is lite blue or aqua quart size...with the only word on it "Mason" diagnol... can not find one on ebay or anywhere... any help?? mason 001.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure it says "Mason" diagonally and not "Ball", "Kerr" or "Atlas"?

Mason never made jars, but jar makers would put "Mason Patent" or some such near the bottom so folks knew the tops would be compatible.

Mason was a tinsmith. He patented the screw tops.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote: The Mason jar was invented and patented in 1858 by Philadelphia tinsmith John Landis Mason[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] (1832–1902). Among other common names for them are Ball jars, after Ball Corporation, an early and prolific manufacturer of the jars; fruit jars for a common content; and simply glass canning jars reflecting their material.
If yours is actually a Mason jar you may have something very valuable.
Marvin

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mailman785

Feb 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is all it says on it...there are a few bubbles in the glass...the seam goes all the way to the top.. the letters in Mason are raised... the only other thing on Jar is under neath the word Mason is like a squared J laying down... only thing on bottom is 4 little raised bumps

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw on the news today that the BALL Company closed one of their MFG. plants in, I think, VA.
Marvin

OP
OP
M

Mailman785

Feb 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is all it says on it...there are a few bubbles in the glass...the seam goes all the way to the top.. the letters in Mason are raised... the only other thing on Jar is under neath the word Mason is like a squared J laying down... only thing on bottom is 4 little raised bumps

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have something valuable IMO.:icon_thumright: Don't drop it. So far I can't find info on how long Mason made them.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread