Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think NHBandit may have posted the wrong link?
Here's a similar bottle via a Google search, of course it doesn't add much to the discussion (other than confirming your's is not a one-off production).

Antique Kitchenware Aqua Glass Mason J Hook Fruit Canning Jar Ball Zinc Lid | eBay

Also, I'm wondering if there might be some functional significance to the "J" figure.
Maybe it marks out a specific measurement? Might depend on whether this jar had a specific purpose in life?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
how far down is it??? still scrolling
I found it by doing a Google images search for "antique mason jar" The picture came up and when I clicked on it I was redirected to that site. I also found the same jar doing a similar search on Ebay. Looks to be fairly uncommon but you're not going to retire on what you could get by selling it. Something to always look for when you find old Mason jars also is the number 13 mold number on the bottom. The story goes that the old moonshiners would break all the jars they found with 13 on them thinking they bring bad luck. No idea if it's true or not but they do carry a premium over any other numbers.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I think NHBandit may have posted the wrong link?
Here's a similar bottle via a Google search, of course it doesn't add much to the discussion (other than confirming your's is not a one-off production).

Antique Kitchenware Aqua Glass Mason J Hook Fruit Canning Jar Ball Zinc Lid | eBay

Also, I'm wondering if there might be some functional significance to the "J" figure.
Maybe it marks out a specific measurement? Might depend on whether this jar had a specific purpose in life?
Look up ^^^^^ That was the second link I posted

Dokie

Greenie
Feb 25, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the old mason jars. Have my collection throughout our house. Never seen one like this. Real beauty!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Have seen this type of jar on several occasions in antique and 2nd-hand/consignment shops here in MN over the years. Haven't seen one for a while now, but haven't been looking. Have more than we know what to do with now.

If I remember right (and I might not!), the last price I saw for one like this was in Thief River Falls, MN and was for about $8. My wife talked to the shop owner, but seems I remember hearing that the lid was more valuable than the jar. But that was at least 3 years ago. ...Now, what the heck did I do with the car keys??

UPDATE: As it turns out, I didn't remember correctly! Wife said it was about $8 for jar and $8 for lid, maybe $20 or so if together and in pretty good condition.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread