coinoperated

Greenie
Jan 19, 2017
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this small mason jar while out on the beach today. It was about 6" deep, duct taped, and filled with vinegar with a note folded inside. Definitely an interesting find for me. I've had some friends try to translate, and its a pretty sad note from a woman. Not sure how old it is, but looks like it's been there a while.
IMG_9310.JPG IMG_9308.JPG IMG_9296.JPG

Upvote 12
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find, I hope you can post the translation unless it's not appropriate. :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Interesting. Can you transcribe and put here what it says ? As long as, as the professor says .... it's not inappropriate.

There was a bottle with a note found here on Monterey bay once. And once extracted with tweezers and un-rolled, it was some sort of a lament of a lost love, or a breakup or something. And it was only 4 or 5 yrs. old .

OP
OP
C

coinoperated

Greenie
Jan 19, 2017
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Can you transcribe and put here what it says ? As long as, as the professor says .... it's not inappropriate.

There was a bottle with a note found here on Monterey bay once. And once extracted with tweezers and un-rolled, it was some sort of a lament of a lost love, or a breakup or something. And it was only 4 or 5 yrs. old .

It sounds like a similar type of message that was found in Monterey Bay. It was rolled up and folded into a paper bow (wish I would have taken a picture before unfolding it). Here's what some of my FB friends who speak Spanish have been able to make out from the text..."That her whole life never will be happy perhaps that no one will love/want here"..."Never being happy and tranquil in life"..."that they never live in peace"...

OcdChaos

Dec 29, 2016
The South
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't vinegar ruin the ink? Seems like those old Cryptopuzzle vial locks like the one in the DaVinci code had a glass vinegar vial in it, so that if you tried to force it open without the code, the glass vial broke and the vinegar would ruin the note inside so that unauthorized people couldn't view it..... maybe my memory is hazy on that one though...ha

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find I have found many mason jars even a little hill with lids everywhere I found one once it was under a tree root took me about 20 minutes to get it out believe me I was excited thinking or hoping there would be some old coins or gold in it when I finally got it out it was a time capsule which a couple had buried with a few trinkets in it. Thanks for sharing it!!!!!

OP
OP
C

coinoperated

Greenie
Jan 19, 2017
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know why the vinegar but it was pungent, and definitely had the strong vinegar smell. I was a little apprehensive to open it but I saw a folded piece of paper in the liquid and my curiosity made me unscrew the lid knowing I could go wash in the ocean if it was something rancid.

OP
OP
C

coinoperated

Greenie
Jan 19, 2017
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't vinegar ruin the ink? Seems like those old Cryptopuzzle vial locks like the one in the DaVinci code had a glass vinegar vial in it, so that if you tried to force it open without the code, the glass vial broke and the vinegar would ruin the note inside so that unauthorized people couldn't view it..... maybe my memory is hazy on that one though...ha

I think there was something like that in that movie- but it's been a while since I saw it. If it wasn't vinegar then it smelled just like it.

laurahatt214

Dec 29, 2016
Orangeburg, SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know why the vinegar but it was pungent, and definitely had the strong vinegar smell. I was a little apprehensive to open it but I saw a folded piece of paper in the liquid and my curiosity made me unscrew the lid knowing I could go wash in the ocean if it was something rancid.
That's cool. Reminds me of the movie The DaVinci Code with vinegar and paper but if the vinegar got on the paper then the paper would be destroyed. I collect handwritten letters so to me this would be a bucket list item lol.

Teknetics Gamma 6000 Tapatalk

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With as many old junk jar lids as I've dug I'd probably miss any coins below if the jar weren't intact.
Cool find though.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of wondering if it wasn't originally vinegar. Maybe some perfume or such that turned or spoiled over the years. I've found perfume bottles doing building searches, and I'll tell you they don't smell anything like Chanel #5! :laughing7:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my experience with bottles with vinegar and messages in them I've long believed them to be occult spells likely from some sort of Voodoo ritual. Curses meant to bring misfortune to the person the note is written about. I don't find them too often but when I do it's always the same - curses of death. Here is one I found a few days ago, it reads: "Drop dead Georgette Mason. Death to Georgette Mason in Jesus name." Sometimes the notes are written in languages I don't understand, this one just so happened to be in English. The one you found is likely a similar message. Still holding out for a treasure map in a bottle, but so far nothing but these vinegar notes.
IMG_20170105_115631759.jpg
IMG_20170105_115652737_HDR.jpg IMG_20170105_115636063.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the jar once stored pickles, hence the vinegar smell. Also, are you sure it wasn't an ammonia smell? Like maybe urine?

bbarr1982

Greenie
Nov 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, this may sound silly, but it you put a hard boiled egg in a mason jar full of vinegar and bury it, supposedly it will last forever! Maybe she way trying to preserve it!? Awesome find!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I ever found in a mason jar was some pickled pig feet that were probably 80 years old in an old farm dump, so a note would be a nice step up.

Yours is a Hoodoo hex jar or something similar, never found one here yet, which is kind of surprising but I know enough witchy voodoo ladies that I recognize the basic set up... Here's a bit of info I found online :
To lay the trick or deploy the fixed container, it may be shaken, thrown into running water, thrown into a crossroads, buried under the doorstep or walk-way path, thrown over their roof, broken, or, in the case of a lemon, cut and the juice squeezed behind the one you want to have get away.
Generally when one undertakes harmful spell work -- and a vinegar jar is always harmful -- it is a good idea to perform protection work to keep the space clear of incursions, and and to humbly perform a cleansing ritual afterward for the good of one's own soul. Protection is especially necessary when one is performing a coercive "Spill Your Guts" type of Compelling bottle spell

[url]http://www.luckymojo.com/bottlespells.html#hoodoo-vinegar

[/URL]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread