MASS POINT, NEED INFO?

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
POSTED OTHER MASS POINTS IN MICH. POST. SHOULD HAVE STARTED NEW TOPIC BUT WAS STILL LEARNING HOW TO ATTACH PICTURES. PRETTY EASY WHEN YOU HAVE AWESOME TEACHERS.

MAY 19,1676 WAS THE DEMISE OF MY INDIAN FRIENDS, MANY DIFFERRENT TRIBES JOINED HERE IN THE SPRING. CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE AND WHAT HAPPENED?
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TRIBE BROUGHT THIS POINT AND WHAT IT WAS USED FOR DO YOU?

Attachments

• REAL DEAL MASS ARROW.JPG
    REAL DEAL MASS ARROW.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 308
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
??? what happened to your friends??? Anyways... I will try to keep this as simple and to the point as possible.. you can't identify (except in very rare instances) stone artifacts with what "tribe" they came from. The "tribes" as we know them today are what we or they were calling themselves around the time of contact- tribes were mobile (most often) and might spend a winter here and a summer there... kind of mixes things up. Then there is the fact that they have been here for at least the last 12,000 years! Now over that time many tribes have split off from others thus making new ones, many have become extinct, and they have all moved around... thus there is no way possible to look at a stone artifact and say what tribe it came from. What did happen (for the most part) we find the same types of artifacts being made around the same time periods in broad areas... For example, that artifact that you show... here in wisconsin you find that type at all middle and late woodland sites... fairly common late woodland artifact. Now that doesn't say what tribe because hundreds if not thousands of tribes lived in the late woodland time period... all making similar type artifacts because they were all competing and using the same resource basins. When you identify a point in this way you can find out what it was used for, what types of activities the people who made it were doing, and roughly the age. Hope this helps and clears the waters about the tribe thing for ya.. :)

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
THOUGHT I GAVE TOO MUCH INFO ON WHAT HAPPEND TO MY FRIENDS, I FIGURED YOU WERE SO GOOD AT THIS YOU MAY BE THE FIRST TO FIGURE IT OUT. ONE OF YOUR POTTERY POST HAD SOME MANY OLD BOOKS I GUESSED YOU HAD THEM ALL MEMORIZED. I UNDERSTOOD THE TRAVELING PART AND KNOW SOME OF MY POINTS AND TOOLS CAME FROM NY, ONE OPINION IS SOME ARE FROM FAR AWAY AS OHIO. COOL AREA I LIVE IN. MAYBE I'LL SHARE THE LEGEND OF THE GIANT BEVER. CAN'T TODAY, AS SOON AS NOON ROLLS AROUND (MAYBE EARLIER) ALL HECKS GOING TO BREAK LOOSE AT WORK.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Cryptic messages and giant beavers... you are one very interesting individual.... as far as the artifacts go... the materials they are made of or even the artifacts themselves could be from a long ways away. Items and materials were traded a lot, while local materials will dominate the majority of the finds in any given area, there are almost always foreign materials to be found. Just as an example: Sea shells from the ocean have been found in Ohio, Copper from Michigan has been found in Alabama, and Obsidian from out west has been found in Wisconsin! So yes- materials you have there could be from somewhere else but my guess would be that they are local (at least the one(s) you have showed pictures of so far. A collector from that area would be able to tell you for sure if the material is local or not- or a local college would be able to tell you. ;)

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
NOT CRYPTIC REALLY, JUST CLUES. CAN ANY ONE FIGURE IT OUT. MORE INFO TOMORROW, LET'S PUT SOME FUN AND SPICE INTO THIS FORUM. FINALLY PEOPLE WITH THE SAME INTEREST IN (AS MY HUSBAND WOULD CALL THEM) ARTICHOKES AS I HAVE, NEVER MIND INDIAN HERITAGE. LETS GO!!!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CG,

I'm learning too!!! I've learned so much from this forum.

In my neck of the woods, if a rock is found in the fields with the Indian artifacts...then I know the Indians carried it there. I've been finding neat stuff.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread