Need some starting info?

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate
I want to get into the point and arrowhead hunting but have no clue where to start. Should i just pick some farmers land at random and walk around in the fields? Are there better places then others to hunt? Etc. cunstruction sites? Fields? Rivers? Will one place be more pruductive then the other? I just found a site that tells about tribe history by state so am going to read about that. Whats the best way to ID things? Is there a field guide on points and arrowheads? Something that might break states down by tribes. Are arrowhead the same shape for the most part? Want to get into this hobby but i don't want to spend hours wasting my time looking in places that wouldn't hold anything. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Upvote 0

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
It helps to hook up with someone that has some experience. My dad had a friend who showed him what to look for, and then my dad showed me. Learning the colors of the different rock they worked in your location and the flakes they chipped from the rock will lead to arrowheads. Cornfields or other crops that have been plowed along any waterways big or small have been the hot spots in my finds. Sandy beaches and creek bottoms will yeild nice points but are harder to find artifacts until you get it down. I was shown what to look for....I found reading material about sites in my area.....searched many cornfields near waterways ...lakes, ponds, rivers, and brooks;... some with artifact finds and many more without..Hit or Miss.....Good Luck....You wont beleive how many artifacts are out there, laying right on top of plowed soil in plain view. ONCE YOU LEARN WHAT TO LOOK FOR...IT WILL BECOME EASY

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
These chips and flakes of rock left by indians.

Attachments

• 111_1189.JPG
    111_1189.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 186

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
SIMPLE advice here: Find any disturbed ground (farmers field, garden, errosion, construction, etc) that is right by a natural source of water. That simple and 95% of the time you will find something.. might not be a huge site but you will normally find something. Any disturbed ground on a natural source of water.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM,

Keep us informed if you find anything!!

CM and UT...very good information given.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread