Mass. vol. militia button

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went on a scouting mission today. It was a bust! So I am throwing this one at you! I found this some years ago under A brick pile. Any one found one like it? button and shield 002.jpg

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The back is not as clean as the front,still has traces of silver plating. I can clearly see a ring of dots around the shank,the word gilt at the bottom and what appears to be the letters t r e at the top, maybe treble? The words at the top and bottom are seperated by stars

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that one is in great shape. I found a Mass. militia button with a slight variation a few years ago in Maryland, but have not yet photographed it. Mine is in rough shape with no gilt left. It also doesn't have the letter "A".

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The site I found it at, according to our local C.W. guru, was where Gen. Burnside landed his artillery for the battle of New Bern. I'm guessing the " A " stands for artillery.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not quite sure about this button.. I have several Massachusetts cw buttons and see them alll the time, but i have not seen one with the "A"...

With that back-mark Treble Gilt, it is possible this dates to the CW period!! but could also date post war to Spanish American war time frame... If you get a chance, can you post it in the "What Is It" section here on TN

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to the book "Uniform Buttons Of The United States 1776-1865" (by Warren K. Tice), your Massachusetts Artillery button dates from after 1865. The book says a December 1865 Regulation from the Massachusetts State Militia ordered that the branch-of-service letter (in your case, A for Artillery) be added to the Militia's uniform buttons. It was not present on the buttons prior to that Regulation.

Therefore, I think it's most likely that your postwar-timeperiod Massachusetts button was lost by a yankee soldier during the Reconstruction/Occupation era in North Carolina.

Your button's front is shown in the Tice book on page 324, and is listed as button MS300A2 with backmark saying Treble Gilt. In the Albert button-book, it is MS-38, but the Treble Gilt backmark is not listed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help guys. Yeah,the relic gods will even throw me a bone once in awhile! Thats what keeps you going!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread