merc sitting on the ground and possible old marble

coiny

Jan 3, 2010
Houston, TX
Besides my regular parks and playgrounds, I tried going into the woods this week but I didn't drive out to the country. There are wooded areas here in my city. My research has been paying off because in one of those wooded areas I found the foundation to an old building, maybe from the 40s. So far, from my 3 wooded spots this week I found a little money, a Timex watch, some old bottles but no silver yet. The mosquitoes at all of the locations have been as bad as I have ever seen them. I am probably going to have to wait until winter before going back to these places.

At a different location yesterday I found a blue marble, or at least that is what I think it is. It is different from any marble I have ever seen. It was found in the same area as the other marbles in the third picture. I have been watching too many metal detecting videos because at first glance I was thinking musket ball!

Today we had got a little rain and right when it was letting up, I headed out to a piece of land a few miles away. I am fortunate that I live near the older parts of town. I was there a few minutes and I found some trash and a few pennies. I was starting to question myself. The mosquitoes were not as bad as in the woods but they were still biting me bad. I decided to circle around an old oak and sitting right on top of the soil was the merc. I did not have to dig at all. That is the first time that has happened to me. I have done that with wheat pennies, but never with silver.

What can I say, research pays off. It is a 1917 S. I know, so close!

Attachments

• marble.JPG
    marble.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 96
  • marble1a.JPG
    marble1a.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 93
  • marble1.JPG
    marble1.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 97
  • merc.JPG
    merc.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 94
  • merc1.JPG
    merc1.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 1

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great find! I always wanted to find a silver coin sitting on the ground. The last homesite I did I found two wheat cents on the ground, but never silver! Congratulations! H Digs!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beautiful dime! I have found a few silver coins on the surface over the years, but very few. Your marble looks like a Bennington-- these were clay ceramic with a pottery glaze, typically blue or brown in color. If so it is pretty old - figure Civil War era. Small ones are pretty common but I saw a 2 1/2" diameter Benny in nice condition go for about $100 at a swap meet. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread