Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On the road again, just me and my best friend (Excal).
There was a Rainbow in the sky as I traveled to the beach to metal detect - Always a good sign.
Traveled to Clearwater beach; the most metal detected beach in the World based on personal bias and observation. When you have 4-6 in the water and another 1/2 dozen on shore...it is a busy metal detecting hub. Except for days like today - even the birds kept away. A Front was coming in and rain and wind steadily increased. It was dark for 8:30am and the surf was suppose to be Flat - 1 ft; it was more like 1-2 ft with the occasional 3 footer. Boy did I get a work-out for 5 hrs.
When I suited up, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a person (I don't now why but they're always good looking females) to help zip-up the back of my wetsuit. Surprisingly, with no one available, my suit magically worked and zipped all the way up! A First. At the water, I tried to work in the area where the waves were still forming to decrease the constant impact. I wish I had on my 25lb weight belt - Mr. Surf wouldn't have pushed me around as much. As I write this note my legs feel like they're swaying back and forth - an "after-effect" of the constant back-and-forth motion of the surf. I'll probably sleep well tonight.
After today, metal detectorists who go to Clearwater beach will not have to worry about finding any beer bottle caps BECAUSE I FOUND THEM ALL!
20170120_145705.jpg
Actually, there was some sanity in my madness of digging all the bottle caps - I wanted to see what was there without them, and it paid-off. My first find in a close group (est 2 ft square) of 6 bottle caps was this massive Alejandro Tungsten Men's wedding ring. I wish I had a scale but it is 1.2 cm wide, 2mm thick and the diameter is slight larger than a quarter. I really thought it was going to be another bottle cap. I also found a quarter in a close group of 3 caps.
20170120_160649.jpg 20170120_164749.jpg
Given the condition of the bottle caps, with many showing extensive corrosion and found 3-5" down with abundant shells, I concentrated on these areas varying in water depth of 3-5 ft. I had to float a bit as the bigger waves came-in. I think my count was down for the day because I dug so many bottle caps and because of the nature of the surf. I took a lot of body punches today for the hobby...but it was worth it; another great work-out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Fun find. I always get a kick out of tungsten. I know they'll be in my treasure box, pretty much forever. Nobody wants them. LOL

I'll give you mine for a cup of coffee.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is... it's limited primarily to about $10 or less for people who know what they're worth (like on eBay), but you can get up to $50 or so, if it's well branded, and if you sell at a roadside stand or garage sale. People will make offers on $300 rings (like Triton), even though they're the same stuff as the $30 tungsten rings at Walmart. The brand can be important.

I've bought a couple over the years (I like to swap out my rings regularly)... I've paid as high as $14 new for them, and as low as a buck for used ones. When I'm done with them, I give them to friends (they're popular with the teenagers)...

It's not uncommon for me to find one I really like and pay $4-$7 or so for one used. Though, lately, I've found so dang many of them, I really haven't bought one in about 8 months. There's a market... but not a lot of money in it.

Cheers,
Skippy
Your right on the tungsten re sale value...I sold a Triton Tungsten on E Bay for 30 bucks...all other used tungstens have very little value.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey, thanks for the info on Triton rings as I found one of those a yr or 2 ago and have to (re)dig it up.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the ring. That ring made for a good hunt. I've had worst days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions