Maui beaches

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
Hi Guys, new member here. Came to Maui from Tucson in March for two weeks ( no detector). My daughter lost an expensive gold bracelet in the beach sand and while raking sand that afternoon searching for it, thought
" Wish I had a metal detector". That set me to thinking how much treasure there must be on these beaches. I hadn't seen anyone else out with detectors at that time. Well, I never found the bracelet.
Went home, bought a Minelab Advantage and practiced up in the local parks and yards. Found a $100 dollar bill while kicking sawdust off a coin in the playground. Yep, you guessed it--hooked on a new hobby. Long story short, packed up, moved to Maui (not just for the detecting, there were other things involved). Now I've been here two months, maybe a total of 60 hours detecting on the beaches, got a great tan and a lot of cool pictures. It's been a learning experience, as all of you know, first, learning the peculiarities of the detector; second, how best to search the beach, etc., etc. I learned a lot from reading your posts and good advice it was.
Here's my thoughts and impressions so far: There are a few other treasure hunters here. I've seen 2 personally. My son, who uses my equipment more than I, has seen 4. Thats not a lot for the miles of beaches here. One fellow approached him (wearing a "Whites Metal Detectors" T shirt and gruffly asked him what he'd been finding, where he was from, etc., not too friendly, a little snotty. He then commented that he "did this for a living", implying, I guess, that this was one of his territories. Son is not small, not inhibited and not one to tolerate rude behavior. He laughed and continued hunting. Always a moron about, isn't there.
If he makes a living searching the dry sand beaches here, he must be destitute indeed. Our take so far: approx. $50 in clad, one wheatie, no silver. One cheapo ring, not gold,,,, one sterling bracelet, not bad,,,,,,one 14k ankle bracelet my ladyfriend found in the parking lot while I was unloading my gear, pretty good find,,,,,,,lots of heavy fishing sinkers, which come in handy and save us money as we also shore fish at night,,,,,,several keys, some with keyrings,,,,,a working everready flashlight 4 inches down,,,,,and the usual junk of course.
Not a lot cash-wise, but the time on the beach is sure a lot of fun. Kids follow us, folks approach us to ask what we find, (yeah, we exaggerate sometimes), a few guys have said to me "Dang, I have one of those things in the closet and never thought to bring it on vacation with me".
Anyway, my daughter is using the Minelab now too. The three of us are pooling our clad, our pocket change and our piggy banks to buy a Whites Surfmaster PI so we can get out in the water where the rings fall. I know they are out there, people constantly tell me of the rings they lost before they learned of the effects of suntan lotion and cool water. We'll keep ya'll informed of our progress and, thanks to my daughter and her digital camera, I'll get some pics on here soon. Later, Ranger121.

Upvote 0

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ranger121,

Excellent post! Sounds to me like you live in "God's Country". I was on Oahu in 95 but didn't pac my detector. It's the only trip I've taken where I didn't have my detector :(

I agree with you, maui, oahu, hawaii, those beaches have got to be good!

I had a surfmaster PI once upon a time. It's a good machine, but I traded it in for an excalibur. The excalibur has a broad band spectrum (BBS) circuitry and sends out 17 distinct frequencies. IMO, it's a mean machine! :o

Any how, welcome to the board, and will look forward to your posts........... 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread