Maximum safe voltage in an older White's XLT.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
So awhile back I converted a Whites XLT to an external battery pack with 8 D-cell rechargeable alkaline batteries. It worked quite well and got the battery weight out of the detector.

Now i'm moving on to 3.7v 18650 lithium cells in my projects and wanting to convert my detector rig to use them. But i'm not sure how much voltage it can safely handle.

My options are
7.4v
11.1v
14.8v
18.5v

I would of course like to go as high as I could safely go. The battery check screen tops out at 14v, but i'm wondering if anyone knows what the voltage regulator in the detector can handle.

(Probably a question I should pose to Whites support, but I figured someone here might know)

Thanks!

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New batteries start out just below 12 volts. Victhedog is right, don't go above 12 volts. I replace/recharge the batteries when they drops below 9 volts. Hope this helps, Tt

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want higher capacity not voltage.. the machine will run properly on less than 9v Go with the highest Ah 11.1 volt. You might get away with 14.8 or you could fry one of the chips .. Safe is better than sorry..

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You guys are kinda missing my point. :) The voltage regulator in the electronics *CERTAINLY* can handle over 12v just to be sure that any sudden spikes do not easily damage the hardware.

IE. A $0.44 voltage regulator can handle up to 35v input and step down to 5v output. http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyL7805CV I just don't know what voltage regulator is in a Whites XLT. And I would rather go slightly over voltage safely than start out under alkaline voltage.

Hrrm, I guess it's time to just crack open the hardware and look. :D

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are kinda missing my point. :) The voltage regulator in the electronics *CERTAINLY* can handle over 12v just to be sure that any sudden spikes do not easily damage the hardware.

IE. A $0.44 voltage regulator can handle up to 35v input and step down to 5v output. http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkeyL7805CV I just don't know what voltage regulator is in a Whites XLT. And I would rather go slightly over voltage safely than start out under alkaline voltage.

Hrrm, I guess it's time to just crack open the hardware and look. :D

Sorry...you might contact White's to see what they say. When you find the answer I'd like to know too. Thanks for posting! Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread