May have found one!

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Pretty cool. Never would have suspected this is a meteorite, but I think perhaps it is. Found it with my detector in my back yard. Stone that definitely is what my detector had found. About the size of a quarter, grey. Pretty flat on one side, and the other side is the same color, but has more "shape" to it. It is very slightly magnetic, and will push away a magnet slightly, and I mean VERY slightly. If you hang a small magnet on a string it will make that magnet move. It is also very heavy for its size, definitely heavier than the normal rocks in the area.

Guess I should find some place to have it tested, unless someone knows of another test or two I can put it through! I will try to post a pic of it when I take some.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
hmmm sounds very interesting. Looking forward to seeing the pic even though I know pretty much nothing about meteorites. lol I am sure someone will have some good advice for you once they see it!

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
It is very slightly magnetic, and will push away a magnet slightly, and I mean VERY slightly. If you hang a small magnet on a string it will make that magnet move.

Hey stanjam…I am new to this. I have been testing with a magnet. I have read that meteorites are magnetic. The way you explain how your magnetic reacts is different from my understanding. I am here to learn so every bit of information I can get is valuable to me…Art

OP
OP
stanjam

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
aarthrj3811 said:
It is very slightly magnetic, and will push away a magnet slightly, and I mean VERY slightly. If you hang a small magnet on a string it will make that magnet move.

Hey stanjam…I am new to this. I have been testing with a magnet. I have read that meteorites are magnetic. The way you explain how your magnetic reacts is different from my understanding. I am here to learn so every bit of information I can get is valuable to me…Art

It is actually hard to tell just what kind of reaction it is. Sometimes I feel it is being attracted, and sometimes it feels like it is being pushed away. Whichever it is the field is very weak. Could not really tell except I could feel a reaction. Then I used my extending magnet (basically a magnet at the end of a telescopic shaft). When I hold the handle loosely and pass the "meteorite/rock" underneath the magnet will start swinging, pendulum like. Quite fascinating actually. Definitely feels like the rock has a magnetic field of its own, rather than just being attracted to a magnet, like metals would.

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread