Will a metal detector pick up a meteorite if it landed in the ground?

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Good question, and the answer is a resounding " YES " juat as long as it's close enough to the surface and within the capabilities of your detectors depth range. Good luck and you have a lot of hours hunting ahead of you if you are really going to try to find it!

Desertfox

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
yes yes, your metal detector will find the meteorite.........if it is laying on the ground.......but if it buried itself 6 ' under the ground then, I doubt it.....either way good luck.

db

OP
OP
Africa

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
I have not tried yet, but I have seen the area where it landed, will have a bash sometime, you can see this round area about 100m across where it landed, will keep you all updated.

Thankyou

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind not all meteorites can be picked up with a metal detector. If it left a crater like you say then there's no need to use a metal detector. Walk out to the crater, locate the meteorite (don't it touch yet), get a digital camera and take a picture of it right next to the GPS with the exact coordinates showing. Then pull the meteorite out of the ground and take another pic of the indentation with the meteorite right next to it. This gives the meteorite provenance and proves the exact location where it was found by documentating the recovery.

After getting it out of the ground, store it in a dry place and try to not touch and handle it as much as possible. If you want to touch and hold it wear some gloves or something because the oils from your hands can affect it. For storage keep it in a closed container with bags of desicant to keep it dry. You might also want to look into classification to prove it's a meteorite.

If it's fractured in anyway and it looks like it might have broke into other pieces, then there's a very good chance there will be others around.

Another thing- you might want to recover it ASAP since weathering can destroy it. The earths environment is considered a hostile environment for meteorites and oxidation starts to occur as soon as the meteorite enters into the earths atmosphere. The earlier a meteorite can be recovered the better.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions