maybe a stupid question

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
We don't have stupid questions on this forum, just stupid answers PAMike. But if my brain is working right, they wre camps set up by the U.S. Gov. and paid civilians min. wage at that time (during the 30's) to pave sidewalks and general construction work to keep the economy going during and right after the depression. If I remember correctly. HH

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yeah! Something like Civilian Construction Corps or something like that . We had one in our town & I had forgotten about it. There is a small sub division going up there now. Guess I better be checking it out huh? Thanks for the idea PAmike. See! It's not a stupid question. Spotz

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Civilian Conservation Corp" ;)

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"The only stupid questioned is the one that is not asked"!

J

Jim Cal

Good question and answers. I have read lots of books that refer to these old CCC camps where sometimes hundreds of men lived and worked to make a sustenance living. Every state had a WPA Guide published during the depression and many camps are listed in them. If you type in CCC Camps, Civilian Conservation Corp in one of the search engines you will get lots of info about these camps and the various projects involved. Jim Cal

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CCC was the Civilian Conservation Corps and was set up during the depression for young men, mostly unskilled to get them off the streets and give them something constructive to do. My Dad spent time ina CCC camp in Colorado in the 1930's as a teenager, mostly clearing brush and planting trees, building parks and minor construction jobs such as building cabins for wildlife conservation or whatever it was called back then. The got room and board and very minimum wages. The WPA on the other hand was mostly older skilled workers who could not find work that took on major construction such as roads, swimming pools, government buildings, bridges, sidewalks, etc. Many WPA projects are still evident especially in urban areas. They built many of the old stone National Guard and Army Reserve buildings. They usually will have a marker of some sort designating same. My leased hunting area is bounded on one side by an old abandoned WPA road that was built from a section line going back to a gravel quary. The bridges have been dinamited or washed out all along the road and access is by foot or 4 wheeled ATV's. The road was built back in the late 20's and 30's and they used wagons and mules. I found an old iron wagon wheel hoop and a muleshoe on the road when I first got my detactor.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
There are numerous pine forests that are the work of CCC projects. Stands of pine around here remain from their work, they are always in neat rows and the appropriate age. Pretty easy to distinguish from the normal deciduous groves and thickets in the area. Where possible it's always a good idea to hunt the area thouroughly.

Now about the "no stupid questions addage"... Well that's why I try not to ask too many because I know I could find a way to ask one that's plain....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread