MDer VS Evil Groundhog

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'er VS Evil Groundhog

The story thus far.
2 weeks ago my son and i received permission to MD a yard and went there on Saturday , we found a dollar and change in clad and 2 cool finds , a 1915 exchange token and a 1916 era printing plate from the local news paper.
i noticed at that time a fresh looking hole going under the shed and knew it was a ground hog but paid it no mind.
2 days later my son and i return and dig some more in the side yard and again found some clad.
next day went back and hit the front yard , this time when we got out of the truck a big fat ground hog ran across the yard and tried to squeeze in between the root cellar door and the wall, he got stuck for like 15 seconds with his feet stuck up in the air kicking and wiggling. i couldnt help but laugh out loud and told my son i should go over and grab the little fat thing, ( i am smart enough to know better because he would eat me up,, the ground hog , not my son )
anyway about that time he squeezed thru and was gone out of site.
fast forward a 2 weeks later i see the land owner and he stops me and says he has bone to pick with me,
seems the first day where we dug behind the shed we left 3 of our plugs out of the ground and he had to pick them up and replace them.
i immediately apologized and told him i was sure we had replaced them.
the more we talked the more i thought about it and was sure that after going back 2 times we would have seen it , then i remembered he had mowed the yard sunday, the day after we dug back there .
i reminded him of that and he agreed he did so they had to be in the ground at the time.
now i know from past experience that i have seen Fox Squirrels in Atlanta roll fresh sod up into neat little rolls to get to the stuff underneath it , so i am guessing this fat little ground hog may have heard me laughing at him and went to get revenge and pulled up my plugs .

has any one else had issues like this with plugs being pulled up ?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are real diggers and any animal is an opportunist so if ground is easy to uncover that is where they will work first. Does the land owner know about the groundhog?.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to hear , i was hoping i was not the only one these critters are playing pranks on .

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah at my own house I'll find my plugs pulled . Skunks or raccoons , I figured. Could be ground hogs too . They are cute. Chubby lil rollie pollies.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was a boy growing up in rural Ky, groundhogs were vile creatures ruining the farmer's fields. Their den holes would break the leg of any cow or horse that happened to step in it. They became good target practice for any youngster with a .22. I have to laugh at differing opinions of people.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went and put a flower basket on my great aunts grave and there was this ginormous ground hog hole going right under her headstone . It was so huge you could see down a good 2 1/2 feet ... I know his living room was on top of the concrete box they put the casket on. It was so creepy . But I didn't want to bring it up to the cemetery cause I was afraid they'd poison it . And well , my aunt was gone already.. And she woulda gotten a huge laugh out of it.
I went back a couple weeks later and could see down in the huge hole the basket I put on the grave... Lol. I guess he was decorating . The entrance to his hole is usually littered with plastic flowers when ever I go . It's pretty funny. I get comfort out of seeing life carry on in a cemetery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread