Pix of an archie metal detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Was flipping through a March 1985 issue of National Geographic magazine, and spotted this picture. It's a part of an article on the Vikings. As you can see, from the description of the lady on the upper right, is she's an archaeologist using the detector on "Gotland". That's an island off the coast of Sweden. Based on the date of the magazine, and using a magnifying glass, I can see the detector is a 6000d series II. Good machine for that era :)

What? An archie using a metal detector?? SAY IT ISN'T SO! haha :laughing7:

If you click on the image, you can get it enlarged enough so you can read the print/text.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 148

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I come across a Archie a couple of years back using a detector, a company was putting up new power lines and masts, he was detecting the loose earth...around the masts. He was using the cheepest detector on the market, needles to say he never found much.

SS

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archies don't have a problem with the technology, they just don't want anyone who isn't an archie to use it.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archie or not the 6000D Coinmaster IS a great machine in trained hands. Looks like she did alright! Still have mine.......................63bkpkr

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's what more need to be said
nice eye's to spot that out
Tom...in...CA

liftloop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions