Mding in deep grass

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found an excellent site, however there is one problem. The grass is so high it is difficult to swing the detector and there is so much grass above the ground I know that I am losing depth. I've considered buying a larger coil to compensate, but I'll lose out on the smaller coins. What is the best solution? Please don't say bring along a lawnmower!! ::)

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please don't say bring along a lawnmower!

Kerosene in a spray bottle & a match?

Those are the kind of places I hit in the spring as soon as the snow melts and the ground thaws. The grass is dead & smushed down.

You can try spreading out a tarp (no metal grommets) and pressing the coil right down on it as you work an area. You lose depth but it does keep the coil moving level and is better than "hopping" around clumps.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
If you can't mow bring a sheet of plywood to squash down the grass and detect through the plywood moving it as you complete an area

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I have a friend who only hunts farmers feilds, he has the same problem all summer and into the fall. He tells me he has to stick to the crop circles till the winter.... :D

Timming is everything at some locations. :wink: Otherwise you could try the afore mentioned plywood or tarp tricks. Another technique is called the scrub which Jeff of PA uses I think so he might be a good source of info on using this tech. If I can't bring or use my weed whacker or lawn tractor I'll just wait for fall after the first snow or two or spring after the ground thaw.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of folks using a sheet of plexiglass and laying it on the grass. The glass has a hole cut out of the center (big enough to dig through), and when you get a target, you move the hole over it and go to town. I used to take a scythe with me for overgrown grassy areas and cut them down (with the property owner's permission). The owners were usually happy for me to do it, as long as it wasn't hay pasture, and as long as I stacked up the cut grass in a predetermined spot.

Good Luck,

Buckleboy

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I'm to lazy to cut brush . I just take my old billy goat along & stake him out . I take a nap while he clears
out a circle for me , then I move him over to clear another spot while I detect the spot he already cleared .
Gotta use brains , instead of braun . :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. Heads up crew. We've got a job for you on the back lot today.

Attachments

• HPIM0106.JPG
    HPIM0106.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 477
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your ideas. I'll give some of them some consideration, except for the goats!! :D

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3-4' 2x12, holes drilled in the corners, ropes tied through the holes on each side to make a loop hand high when at your sides, place foot on the board and step move and repeat.. Just like making crop circles..

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
This is gonna sound a little insane, but I made a special tool just for this problem.
I took an extremely large kitchen knife. (about 14 inches long).
Removed the wooden handle. (kinda by smashing it off).
Grinded down the area where the hande was, and made it just as sharp as the other end of the knife.
Drilled a hole in the DIRECT middle of the knife.
Then bolted it to the bottom of a weedwhacker. Of course I had to removed the shield thing on the bottom of the weed whacker for it to spin freely without any obstuctions.
Of course, this becomes an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS weapon you're using now. But it works GREAT!
Just don't take ANY kids with you. And make sure you know the shortest routes to all the hospitals!
Cause if it ever breaks loose, it could probably send the knife right through your leg or something.
I made this thing last year when I was hunting in some very old places that had great coins, but were loaded with nasty pricker bushes, rough undergrowth, and tall grass.
Good Luck.
Oh, I almost forgot my disclaimer. If anyone hurts or kills themselves doing this, you didn't hear it from me!
:wink: :D :o :-[ :-X :-\ :icon_pirat: ::)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Buzzard King said:
This is gonna sound a little insane, but I made a special tool just for this problem.
I took an extremely large kitchen knife. (about 14 inches long).
Removed the wooden handle. (kinda by smashing it off).
Grinded down the area where the hande was, and made it just as sharp as the other end of the knife.
Drilled a hole in the DIRECT middle of the knife.
Then bolted it to the bottom of a weedwhacker. Of course I had to removed the shield thing on the bottom of the weed whacker for it to spin freely without any obstuctions.
Of course, this becomes an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS weapon you're using now. But it works GREAT!
Just don't take ANY kids with you. And make sure you know the shortest routes to all the hospitals!
Cause if it ever breaks loose, it could probably send the knife right through your leg or something.
I made this thing last year when I was hunting in some very old places that had great coins, but were loaded with nasty pricker bushes, rough undergrowth, and tall grass.
Good Luck.
Oh, I almost forgot my disclaimer. If anyone hurts or kills themselves doing this, you didn't hear it from me!
:wink: :D :o :-[ :-X :-\ :icon_pirat: ::)

Good God! Ya know they make weed whacker blades for that type of use! One day, we'll be calling you "Buzzard No-Legs" :o

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a weed masher. Get a clear plastic floor protector, the ones that go under roll around desk chairs. Make two large holes near the top edge and tie on a rope handle.
Then lay it down on the grass or weeds, step on it and detect THROUGH it. When you get a signal lift it and go to it. Then flip it over and work the next spot.
A large pice of Lexan would work as well, but you want something clear - makes it easier to use than something opaque.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to try the plywood trick soon.I have several abandoned homes with knee high grass around them close to me. One place has a nice close line area that should produce a few coins. :wink:

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also, don't forget to treat the lower part of your body with tick repellant. That high grass will no doubt harbor a lot of deer ticks.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plywood is cheap and eay to come by, but it is heavy and you cant see through it. If possible get a sheet of clear palstic - youll be glad you did.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
That was also my recomendation.
I used to have a 40"x40" square piece of plexiglass. I drilled a hole in all 4 corners and put a rope through them to make handles. I would simply move the plexiglass to the spot I wanted to detect over. This worked very well.
One precaution you need to take in high grass hunting is snakes. Be sure to watch your steps.
Good luck.
xXx

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
LMAO! I love the knife blade weed whacker! Reminds me of a buddy of mine. He called me one day and told me he had cut a "V" in the front of his lawnmower deck with a torch. Then sharpened both sides of the mower blade, to make a 'brush hog". Said he could take down small trees with it and wanted me to come see it. I havent heard from him since.... Come to think of it maybe I should call and check in him.. lol

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
i know ya said not to say "take your lawnmower"....but if you ID decide to take it over there....raise the deck up all the way and it will cut the grass down to about ankle high....should be able to hunt that

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input everyone!! Very informative! But I dunno about the knife blade weedwacker. I kinda want to keep my feet. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread