Mecklenburg County Parks - No MDing Allowed?

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I looked up the written rules for my county here in North Carolina (Mecklenburg County). This is what I found. But if any of you know law is this eliminating Metal Detecting or am I reading it too deeply. And yea I know this is probably beating a dead horse but I just want to understand better. It seems pretty straight forward to me.

Preservation of Parks Civil Penalty for Violation
$ 50.00
SECTION 5: No person shall willfully and intentionally remove, destroy, cut down, scar, mutilate, injure, take or gather in any manner any tree, flower, fern, shrub, rock, artifact or other plant or mineral in any park unless authorized by permit.

$ 50.00
SECTION 6: No person shall willfully and intentionally in any manner injure, deface, disturb, destroy, or disfigure any part of any park or any building, sign, equipment or other property found therein.

Full Link:
http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/cou...and Recreation Facilities Ordinance050713.pdf

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SECTION 5: No person shall willfully and intentionally remove, destroy, cut down, scar, mutilate, injure, take or gather in any manner any tree, flower, fern, shrub, rock, artifact or other plant or mineral in any park unless authorized by permit.

Its sounds like you need a permit?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
So I looked up the written rules for my county here in North Carolina (Mecklenburg County). This is what I found. But if any of you know law is this eliminating Metal Detecting or am I reading it too deeply. And yea I know this is probably beating a dead horse but I just want to understand better. It seems pretty straight forward to me.

Preservation of Parks Civil Penalty for Violation
$ 50.00

$ 50.00
SECTION 6: No person shall willfully and intentionally in any manner injure, deface, disturb, destroy, or disfigure any part of any park or any building, sign, equipment or other property found therein....

Retired fox: Verbiage such as this exists at EVERY single park across the USA. If it .... of necessity ... forbids md'ing, then that means every park across the USA is forbidden. Yet a casual glance at the show & tell finds forums, shows no lack of people hunting parks, eh ?

If you leave no trace of your presence (cover your hole, stomp it back, fluff it up, etc...), then logically you have not mutilatED, injurED, destroyED, anything. Right ?

As for forbidding removing, harvesting, taking, gathering, etc... All such verbiage was intended so that no numbskull thinks he can take the park benches, cut down firewood, harvest the sod and tanbark for his own garden back home, etc.... COULD such things be applied to us ? (we "take" coins afterall, eh ?) SURE: just ask enough bored laywers and city staff, and you can ALWAYS find someone to give a "safe" answer. But realistically ? Was it ever meant to apply to us ? Of course not. Otherwise you couldn't even collect aluminum cans for recycle.

The word "artifact" is a little more problemsome. That reeks of "cultural heritage". Set up to protect obvious historic sensitive monuments. Technically defined as objects either 50 or 100 yrs. old or older. I'm assuming your hunting normal parks, right ? Not historic sensitive monument type parks, right ? Then I bet this boiler plate stuff is simply not an issue. Unless, again, you go waiving indian bones in front of purist archies or whatever. Or if you're still really worried, then re-insert any coin back into the ground that exceeds 50 yrs. old (because nearby archies armed with calculators are sure to rush up and do the math ! :)) Or just send them to me, and I will absolve you of all guilt .

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. I figure I could give it a go in a section of park with bad grass and volley ball courts with sand. Then if they approach and say leave I will comply immediately and not make a big deal. I wouldn't want to piss em off and make it harder for the next Detectorist.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
When I started (3) years ago, I called the Parks & Rec. Dept. and talked with them. They said that people dig up the landscape shrubs and flowers and take them home! They said no digging in the park. That only slowed me down for about 2 minutes.

I have hunted all of the local old parks... many times, without incident. Once they tried to boot me, but I negotiated with them, and they relented. I showed them how to dig a plug, and several I had already dug, that they did not noticed. Here is the scoop. Go when there are not a lot of people at the park. Dress like a normal person, no head to toe camo outfit, it spooks people, they think that you are deer hunting in the park. Stay away from children. No shovels, hand digger only. Don't leave traces of digging. The ranger is too lazy to get out of the truck, he will not get out of the truck to come to you, so if you stay away from him, he won't bother you.

Best of luck to you sir!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....They said no digging in the park. ....

.... I have hunted all of the local old parks... many times, without incident. ...

What ?? And "dug" your targets ? What part of their edict DON'T you understand ? How can you live with yourself and sleep at night ? What's next, clubbing baby seals ? Sheeesk.

.... Once they tried to boot me, but I negotiated with them, and they relented. I showed them how to dig a plug, and several I had already dug, that they did not noticed.....

Aren't you forgetting the part where you were arrested, ticketed, jailed, confiscated, and shot at ? Please tell the rest of the story. Tsk tsk.

... Here is the scoop. Go when there are not a lot of people at the park. ...

No no no, on the contrary: Go when the park is full of people (an archaeologist convention is the best timing). Afterall 'what have you got to hide?". Afterall, you're not advocating "sneaking around" are you ? Since of course, every last person and persuasion has signed off on you and loves your hobby, you can just go at high noon waltzing over beach blankets afterall.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
What ?? And "dug" your targets ? What part of their edict DON'T you understand ? How can you live with yourself and sleep at night ? What's next, clubbing baby seals ? Sheeesk.

Aren't you forgetting the part where you were arrested, ticketed, jailed, confiscated, and shot at ? Please tell the rest of the story. Tsk tsk.

No no no, on the contrary: Go when the park is full of people (an archaeologist convention is the best timing). Afterall 'what have you got to hide?". Afterall, you're not advocating "sneaking around" are you ? Since of course, every last person and persuasion has signed off on you and loves your hobby, you can just go at high noon waltzing over beach blankets afterall.

You are a lot smarter than I, however, I will do my best to answer for my deeds.

1. Eskimos have been wearing baby seal fur for centuries. Good enough for them, good enough for me.
2. I never got arrested or went to jail. I avoid the local jail, because the baloney sandwiches are not very good. They are too salty.
3. I always advocate sneaking around. The modern term is "low profile", but it's the same thing.

I hope that this clears up my position. Sorry to the OP for high jacking his thread, but the other Tom started it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions